What about Mokuleia, Oahu

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:03 PM
sara

What about Mokuleia, Oahu

Has anyone stayed in this area of North Shore, I know it's up by Haleiwa, we are looking at a house to rent there and I'm curious if there is much to do, other than the beach stuff for 18 & 20 year old guys. Is this far from Haleiwa? Also from the photos the surf looks like it breaks way out, curious if its good surfing or not. Thanks

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Postal

Mokuleia is pretty "out there" and Haleiwa is the only nearby town (maybe 10 minutes by car) with stores and restaurants, except for Wahiawa, which is about 20 minutes toward the middle of the island and a good-sized town.

So basically, Mokuleia is mostly beach. The surf may very well break a little far out as it does in several areas off Oahu, including Waikiki Beach.

I don't know about the surfing in Mokuleia but the surfing in Haleiwa is supposed to be pretty good. And of course past Haleiwa you have Pipeline, Sunset Beach, and Waimea Bay, famous surfing spots.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:21 PM
hens4th

Sorry, not surfers, so know nothing about the "breaks" - but stayed 10 days in this area last August. About a 10 min. drive to Haleiwa. Mokuleia is an area, not a town, so NO services at all. Nearest town is Waialua, (5 min.) with limited services (gas station, bar, couple of local-type fast food places, laundromat), then Haleiwa with plenty of restaurants, shopping, groceries, etc.

That said, we LOVED it. Lots and lots of a variety of beaches to see. And a great base for seeing both the north and windward shores. But you're gonna have to drive a little ways for services or "fun". It's a quiet area. (I'm trying to remember what 20 was like, and if I'd have been bored silly out in the "boonies" of Mokuleia. Probably.) But the good surfing spots (Banzai, Sunset, Waimea) are only 5-15 min. drive beyond Haleiwa, if that helps. And Mokuleia Beach Park is a windsurfers beach, if you're into that at all. Anything else I can help with (even though I'm an old fuddy of 45), just ask.....

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:21 PM
Jena

I Haven't been to that exact area, but the town of Haleiwa is quaint, and if they still are filming "Bay Watch" there the quys would love that!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:40 AM
Steve

Lots of good hiking in that area. Suggest you pick up a book "Hikers guide to Oahu" for reference. Stay out of the water if you're coming during winter as the waves on the north shore can be extremely dangerous. Other than outdoor activities, this is a very rural area with not much to do.