Whale Watching Tour - Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone - My husband and I are interested in doing a whale watching tour out of Boston in Mid-September - has anyone done this before? Did you think it was worth doing? We did one in Hawaii, but it was the end of the season, and we didn't see much.

Also, is a harbor tour redundant? I assume the whale tour just goes further out? And what about the Duck Tour? There seem to be a lot of water tours, and since there's so much to do and see, which do you recommend? It's just my husband and I (in our 30s, no kids). Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM

The Duck Tour is totally different; it mostly goes along the city streets, and the water part is in the Charles River so you see acompletely different area than the harbor.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks - I went to the Duck Tour website, so I have a better understanding of what that entails.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM

I did both the Duck Tour and Whale Watch in September.

The Duck tour wasn't as good as the Duck in Branson, but I really enjoyed the Whale Watch. These are my photos: http://www.mightymac.org/whale1.htm
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM

That was supposed to read, September 2004.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Our family did a whale watch last year with Boston Harbor Cruises and it was fantastic. If you're never done it, it's a must-see! We saw plenty of whales and it's a comfortable cruise, with lots of room inside with booths and chairs with a snack bar which even served beer & wine. We brought "spukies" with us (sub sandwiches as you can only find in Boston) and got our drinks on board.

A harbor tour would be different enough that I would recommend it in addition to a whale watch. There's so much history in the islands and along the coast of Boston and a guided tour is very entertaining. And as you saw, the Duck Tour is totally different as well. So you have a lot of choices that involve traveling on the water in Boston, as there should be!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Excellent, pictures, Keith - that's much closer than we were able to get on Maui. It definitely looks like something we would enjoy doing.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM

You should look at the web site
www.bostonislands.org

Look at the map, all the islands, which ones are historical and why (George's) - there are others like Spectacle that are more for an 'out of city, on the beach, have a hot dog, take a walk' type of visit to me - thatmight help you choose which harbor tour would work best for you.

Agree a harbor tour is different than a whale watch, if there are things on the islands that would interest you and how many days/things you want to fit in.

The Duck Tour is fun, it's a nice overview and also gets you to the Charles - I also recommend the Skywalk Observatory at the end of your stay if possible and loking at
www.thefreedomtrail.org
and seeing what parts of that might interest you
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, tekwriter - I will check out Boston Harbor Cruises; you guys have convinced me to put whale watching on the list! Excellent idea to bring lunch along as well.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM

I think you're getting lots of good suggestions so far. I would add something to the list, even though not part of your original question - check out trolley tours. Our visitors have unanimously enjoyed them. Hop on, hop off options and helps you get a good feel for the city.

Have fun whatever you do! I've always had good whale watch experiences - July, August and September.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Okay, whale watch and Duck Tour have now made it on the list. Will check into the other harbor cruises and the trolley.

Also planning to do the Freedom Trail, but am confused about that. I looked at their site, and the tour is 90 minutes, but I read on another post to allow 1 and 1/2 days to do it. Is the 90 minute tour just a brief synopsis, and then you can go explore more on your own? Do you see all the sights on the tour but just not go inside?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM

It does not take over a day to see the Freedom Trail, although Iknow people who have taken days - real history buffs - but you can do it in a few hours - some things you may walk through (Granary Burying Ground) in 10 minutes maybe - some are in and out of the old State House or Sight of Boston Massacre in under 10 min. too -

go back to that web page and click on visitors and see the list of each attraction, click on each one and it tells about them, you can even print that out and bring the sheets w/ you - that & the map will help you plan , according to your interests, about how long you would take. My experience is, with stops for a cold drink, or ice cream, - give yourself two hours, more depending on your interest in the Constitution or if you want to spend time at Bunker Hill

Some like to take the ferry to Constitution wharf end and start at that end and work backwards to the Boston common end -
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 02:19 AM

Freedom Trail - entire trail is a few miles, but many people do not do entire thing. There are several small museums/historic buildings along the way, some with entry fees. Historic burial grounds are interesting, and just walking thru the oldest streets in Boston is a nice experience. Stop in North End for lunch or dinner.

Water Tours summary. Duck Tours are fun, light, and mildly informative, with humourous narration. You can get a tiny bit of history and sailing in the Charles River gives you a different perspective of the city.

Harbor Tours - there are no whales in Boston Harbor. Tours vary in length from an hour at lunchtime to several hours. Narration is more historical, adult and informative. Many sail by USS Constitution if you miss it on Freedom Trail. Relaxing and informative if it is a nice day. There is also a water shuttle that goes to various Boston Harbor Islands - a nice day trip but usually does not fit in time limitations of most visitors.

Whale watches - several companies. I have heard the NE Aquarium does a good whale watch. Bring warm clothes, even if it is a very hot day and seasick medicine if it is even a little windy or rough. Relaxing sail out to whales, almost always see whales, but can take the better part of the day.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for clarifying - you are really helping me a lot. I'm glad the Freedom Trail isn't a day and a half; there's really so much to do and see in Boston, and that just seemed excessive to me.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:11 AM

The Duck tours take you through Boston streets and then on the Charles, but they are also a moving history lesson. The drivers always give interesting facts about the city, buildings, etc. Fun if you like history.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM

The Duck Tours take about 90 minutes, plan time for waiting in line prior (but order your tix online which you can do, I belive, up to 5 days in advance)

This is often a good thing to do first thing in the morning. Get an overview, get your bearings, and it's light and fun as well as interesting. If you did that, you could be done by 11am at the latest, grab a cold drink (if you took it from the site near the Pru), walk through Boston Public Library (which is free, see the Sargent Murals and the bldng) see Trinity Church/Copley Sq and walk down to Boylston (maybe grab lunch at Parish Cafe) or lunch anywhere on Newbury (or in teh cafe at the BPL) -

walk down Newbury to Arlington and into the Boston Public Garden - see where the swan boats are, see the Make Way for Duckling Statue, out the other side, across nad into Boston Common- make a beeline for the tourist kiosk , grab some Freedom Trail info and map and walk the trail for an horu or so in the afternoon (say from 2-3:30 or so)

you can fill in the rest of that day and night with the north end and dinner or whatever else - evening at the MFA, etc. or evening harbor tour if that interests you

or, the next day do your harbor tour and/or whale watch the next -

how many days do you have?
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi, escargot - we have 5 days in Boston and are thinking of possibly adding on a little sidetrip to somewhere like Kennebunk, Newport, Provincetown, etc.
So far on the agenda, we have tickets to a Red Sox/Yankees games, 2 art museums, whale watching, the Duck Tour, and the Freedom Trail - also want to eat some good seafood and have Italian food in the North End.

I like the idea of doing the Duck Tour early on to get our bearings. All your suggestions have been very helpful. I am not a leisurely traveler - always like to see everything and have loads of activities, and it definitely seems like Boston has a lot to offer. We're really looking forward to the trip.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:09 AM

YOu might think about posting your 'proposed' itinerary with a few other details -
like how you are arriving: train, plane, car
what time of day/night
and then each day w/ time of Red Sox tix, etc, - tihngs that are either already set or you have a plan for (ie; Mon: Duck Tour, MFA, etc, etc)

Then one of us who lives here or someone who has visited, can better guide you with times to get between places, how long things take, etc. - and you can have a good itinerary, and probably as always, with some things that might get moved due to weather, taking a longer time at one thing vs. another, or less time, etc - with some possible 'if time fors" thrown in !

As far as day trip to Provincetown, you could do by boat - Newport or Kennebunk you would do better with a car.

If you look at some threads here on both you can see what is possible for a day in those places

Newport works well b/c you can drive there within 90 minutes or less and in one day you could fit in the Ocean Drive (ten mile drive), a mansion or two or one and the international tennis hall of fame, the wharf area, cliff walk and dinner if you wanted before heading back to Boston -

best to read about each destination and do some searches here on the board for recent itineraries and see what floats your boat .

Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM

I'm going to reply to this message as the OP questions/timelines/schedule is similar to my own.

My question:
Should book our whale watching trip before we arrive? Or can we just show up the day of and get on? I definitely don't want to miss out though.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 03:02 PM

I would reserve in advance. If the wether is bad you can just call and cancel. Don't know if they fill up - and would depend on the day of the week. But when we went from Montauk several years ago the boat was full and people had to wait for the afternoon trip.