Search

Boston tour?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston tour?

We have some time in Boston after our fall cruise and we're trying to decide whether to take the duck tour that I've been hearing so much about or a bus tour. The 2 1 /2 hour bus tour goes by Copley Square, Trinity Church, Boston Public Library, Back Bay, Newbury Street, the Public Gardens, Boston Common, Beacon Hill, Old South Meeting House where the Boston Tea Party began, the Charles River, Old North Church. The description doesn't mention the Freedom Trail, but this must surely be some of it? Would we see more or less of Boston with a duck tour?

Sue
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 09:53 PM

I've taken the trolly tours twice. The guides are fantastic. The freedom trail actually goes between the buildings, etc. You'll cross over it or they'll point it out. We actually walked the trail, which is recommended. Earlier this month, we took a boat tour a day before the Demo. Convention. The town was dead, which was to our advantage. No lines anywhere. The speakers on the boat were hard to understand at times. I liked it but not as well as the trolly tours. I've only seen one duck tour. I'm not sure where they're allowed to go. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any tour. There's so much tucked in every little corner and on the water, too. The Italian district's restaurants are awesome. We love everything about Boston. You can't go wrong.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 02:06 AM

Much of the Freedom Trail is on smaller winding streets - no room for Duck vehicle.

Check to see if you can get off bus tour anyplace - that might be nice, since you stay on Duck the whole time. Duck tour is probably going to be more fun.

If your cruise is the NCL one, we noticed one nice thing about their Boston post-cruise tour (we did not take it, we live here) - and that was that they took your luggage and you met it at the airport after tour. If you go on Duck tour you have to figure out what to do with your luggage. Or if you are staying overnight, I guess this does not matter.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Since the Back Bay was still literally a bay during the Revolution, the first 6 places you list didn't exist then and are therefore not part of the Freedom Trail. But the rest are -- the Freedom Trail is just a line on the sidewalk. Take the duck tour, then go back to Boston Common or Faneuil Hall to see things up-close.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:47 AM

If you take the trolley tour, it includes the New England Aquarium and you can get on and off. Got this off their site:

See the best of Boston on this 110-minute, fully narrated tour. From Beacon Hill to the New England Aquarium, the Back Bay to Boston Common, Old Town Trolley is the best way to see the city. Our 17 stops have been carefully selected for your convenience and pleasure. Get off and on at any of our designated stops all day, sightseeing at your own pace! Kids ride free!

Have fun!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM

..to NH Sandy..

where do we catch this trolley tour you speak highly of? One spot in particular, many, or ??? Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 05:26 AM

I did the duck tour in Boston last week. I was a bit disapointed - it wasn't nearly as much fun as it was in Branson, but folks that had never done a Duck tour before liked it.

This is comparing apples & oranges, but for just 5 dollars more, you can take a 3-4 hour whale watch cruise with the New England Aquarium. It is much more memorable.

We saw 8 whales last week, including a female and nursing calf.

Keith
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Sorry, just saw your request. You can get the trolley at various locations around the city - the aquarium, Faneiul Hall, etc.