whale watching in Maui

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:28 PM
lou

whale watching in Maui

Has anyone taken one of the two hour whale watching boat trips? If so, was it worthwhile? We will be in Maui at the end of December. Did people on the boat get seasick?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:33 PM
dk

How many people on the boat? Anyone suggest the best company to go with?
I've read in Maui Revealed, you are going at the start of the season (we will be there then also).

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Kate

I went on a whale watching catamaran a few years ago in January and really enjoyed myself. We saw numerous whales in the course of a few hours. I don't remember anyone getting sick. My boyfriend made all of the arrangements, so I don't recall the name of the company.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 08:11 PM
helen

We've taken the Maui Princess and the Pacific Whale Foundation. Saw whales on both cruises. The Maui Princess goes out farther than the Pacific Whale Foundation and we saw more whales on the Maui Princess, but the on-board biologist and lecturer was better on the Pacific Whale Foundation.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:42 AM
a

Whale watching trips are great fun. Some suggestions, though

- Many trips load onto the boat from the beach. So, wear shorts and beach shoes or other shoes which are water and sand tolerant

- If you have any doubt about seasickness take some medication before you go. Scopalomine patches work great if your doctor will approve them for you. Otherwise, there are many good OTC products. However, for your own good, don't take a chance if you think that you may get sick

- Don't have too high hopes. We have always seen something but you may not see any whales at all. If you go with the idea that it will be a fun cruise in a beautiful place then you will have fun even if no whales turn up.

We have usually gone with Red Sails but there are probably many good companies.

Enjoy