West Coast Trip

Jan 12th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

West Coast Trip

We're from Aiken, SC and would like to fly fromAugusta, GA to California. Love to see Yosemite National Park and the west coast. Interested in taking a cruise from San Diego to Vancouver and fly home (Augusta) from Vancouver. Does a week give us enough time for our land travel part of the trip? Thanks for all the info. We hope to plan this trip for May.
Jan 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM

no.
Jan 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM

BBQBoy is probably correct, but I admit I'm confused. You can not cruise from San Diego to Vancouver AND see Yosemite in a week. Just pick up a map and you'll see this.

But can you fly into California, see Yosemite and nothing else, and then get to San Diego; all in a week? (this presumes the previous is the sum total of the "land travel part of the trip")
Yes. But I don't recommend a trip like that at all.

Unless and until you can specify what you are hoping to experience in this trip, other than Yosemite (great pick, BTW), than neither I nor anyone else can give you meaningful information on what to see. People can (and some probably will) tell you what THEY would enjoy in visit to California, but that's irrelevant to what YOU would enjoy.
Jan 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM

You will likely find that it is much cheaper to fly home from Seattle than from Vancouver. Provided you have your passports, it is easy to get to Vancouver from Seattle on Amtrak train or Amtrak bus. Seattle is also a good cruise ship port.
Unless you had some other reason to go to San Diego, I would head from Yosemite to the Pacific Northwest including Vancouver for a day or two.
Jan 12th, 2012, 07:57 PM

The only cruises I know from San Diego to Vancouver are sea-only. No stops/shore excursions until Port Angeles. That wouldn't be all that scenic - just 4 days at sea. But maybe that is what you want.
Jan 13th, 2012, 02:28 AM

So much depends on where you fly into and what you want to do. If you flew into the SF Bay Area - then Yo is about 4 hours - about the same from LA. And from Yo to SD is about 7 hours or so if you are making good time. As for cruises from SD to Vancouver, not really up to speed on that as most cruises go from here down toward Mexico. From SD to Vancouver is a loooong way.