Search

West Coast trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Robert

West Coast trip

Message: My best friend and I are planning a trip out West this summer (probably June or July). We are both from South Carolina, and have traveled the East Coast pretty extensively, but have never been "out West."

We haven't hammered down the specifics yet, but my initial idea was the fly to San Diego, rent a car, and drive up the west coast, eventually ending in Vancouver (go to LA, SF, Portland, Seattle). We're planning on being gone about 3-4 weeks.

Is this do-able? Is 3-4 weeks enough time? Is it worth it to drive from San Diego all the way to Vancouver? The idea really excites me, but I have very little inside info on the real West Coast.

ANY info would be very helpful. We are in the 22-23 yr old range and will be financed by our parents for a college graduation present. So, cost is not a real issue but we're not billionaires, so we need to be reasonable. Thanks in advance for all information and ideas!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:27 AM
David

I think that going from San Diego all the way up to Vancouver, Canada is biting off more than you can chew, assumong that you will be driving back to San Diego to fly back to South Carolina. That is over 1,400 miles and at least 22 hours of driving each way. I would focus your trip on either a specific state (ie: California, Oregon, or Washington. If you choose California, you may want to focus on either southern or northern California.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
kkj

I second the motion. I would stay in just one state. Personally I would pick California and take the trip from San Diego up to San Francisco and back again. There is so much to do and see in California that you could easily fill your three weeks time.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Marj

I think in a time frame of 3-4 weeks it's doable asuming you'll be flying home from Vancouver. If it's round-trip driving, that could be a bit exhausting. one way sounds like a great trip.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Wendy

I would fly into LA or San Fran vs. San Diego and do the drive. It is gorgeous and there is a ton to do all the way up! I like San Diego but for the extra milage I don't think it's worth it. My friend use to drive by herself from LA to seattle when she lived downthere. Non stop is about 15 hours. So I really think the 3-4 weeks plan will be a blast!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Marj

if you start from SF, you'll miss some of the finest coastal scenery around (Big Sur, Monterey, etc.).

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Barb

I would start in San Diego and drive up to LA and up the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) through San Simeon and Hearst Castle and on to Big Sur and the Monterey and Carmel areas. Do spend at least several days in both San Diego and LA. There is lots to see in both of these cities. There will be plenty to do along this route to occupy your time. The drive along highway 1 north of Monterey Bay area is not nearly as nice as the stretch south of this area.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Robert

Just so you guys know, we were planning on flying to SD, driving to Vancouver, and then flying out of Vanc. back to SC. NOT a round-trip driving trip along the coast....that WOULD be too much.

Thanks to those who realized that, but rest assured, the drive will be one-way only.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:03 AM
xxx

Author: J Correa ([email protected])
Date: 10/08/2002, 10:58 am

Message: Seeing a hockey game in SJ is an exellent idea - except that hockey season will be over by then. I think the Sharks games are pretty much all sold out through the end of the season anyway.

A stop in SJ isn't a bad idea though. It's not really a tourist destination, but it's on the way from Santa Cruz to SF and there are some interesting things to see. Also, it's the center of the west coast tech industry.

About Napa and wineries - I've always wondered, is there anything in Napa and Sonoma for people who aren't into wine? I've lived in CA my entire life and have thought about going up there for a weekend to check it out, but all I ever hear about is the wineries and I'm not really into wine.

Author: lynette ([email protected])
Date: 10/08/2002, 11:53 am

Message: You're going to have a great time... and you've gotten really good advice on this board! Here my two cents: skip the Monterey Aquarium! It's not that great... kinda lame actually! If you want to see some marine wildlife.. check out the seals and/or elephant seals in Monterey, Port San Luis (near San Luis Obispo) and at the beach near Cambria. Also, SLo and Santa BArbara both have very casual nightlife... boith are college towns, great bar life, great beach life. Enjoy!
Lynette

Author: David ([email protected])
Date: 10/08/2002, 12:57 pm

Message: You have lots of great suggestions for your trip. I would however, not skip the Monterey Bay Aquarium http://www.mbayaq.org/ unless you have no interest whatsoever in seeing marine life. I have been there several times and though that it was quite interesting. Hearst Castle (www.hearst-castle.org) is a must see, but as already has been mentioned, do make reservations well in advance, especially during the summer travel season. From the Monterey area I would suggest highway 1 north to 17 north into San Jose. Off of highway 17 just outside of Santa Cruz I would recommend the roaring camp railroad (www.roaringcamp.com) steam train tour through the majestic redwoods. If you have time, a stop a Big Basin Redwoods State PArk is also worthwhile (www.bigbasin.org) In San Jose (www.sanjose.org) the Tech Museum (www.thetech.org) is quite interesting. Other points of interest in the city include the Winchester Mystery House (www.winchestermysteryhouse.com) The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum (www.rosicrucian.org) and the History Museum and Japanese Gardens in Kelley Park (www.historysanjose.org) Downtown San Jose has lots of great restaurants, most notably in San Pedro Square (www.sanpedrosquare.com) as well as numerous nightclubs mostly around the South First Street area.

Have a great trip.