Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have more questions about Ca. coast, Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for everyones input about the Ca. Coast driving trip and now I have more questions if you don't mind answering. First off, we will be going toward the end of June and we have 10 to 14 days for vacation. We have been to S.F. and I loved it but we have never been past the Bixby Bridge. Is San Diego something we could miss this trip or would you suggest flying into there and driving all the way to S.F. or just consentrating on a smaller area? I just don't know if the whole state coastline is to much to do and would be rushing everything. Thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:43 AM

In my opinion, 10 to 14 days would be just about the right amount of time to do a drive from San Diego to San Francisco.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:47 AM
beezootoo

It really depends on how you like to travel. For me, that would be too rushed. There is sooooo much to see along the coast. Although I love the drive from San Diego to LA, I would probably skip it. Start in LA and drive up. Or, better yet, start in Santa Barbara. Although I love all of California, I prefer the northern area. What about driving north of San Francico - ever been to monticello?

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

We have never been North of SF. We traveled as far south as Carmel. My husband was now saying that we should go all the way up the Oregon coast too. I was wondering what you think of skipping San Diego and maybe starting from La. Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I would skip San Diego an take Route 1 from Santa Monica north. You would then have time for the Napa Valley, coast north of San Francisco, or other delighful exploration.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:34 PM

I am a veteran calif traveller--but until last year had not driven n of SF or in Oregon. It was fantastic. One more complicated option would be to fly into one of the Bay Area airports (SAn Jose?) and go to bug sur--after hanging out there a while you could go north along the calif coast for at least a while and then also drive up the oregon coast, leaving from portland.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Napa Valley and the Oregon Coast, my two favorite places! If you haven't visited the Oregon Coast, you are in for a rare and wonderful treat! Happy Travels! ***kim***