Search

West Baden, Indiana

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Pearce

West Baden, Indiana

I feel like I need to let people know about a hidden treasure. I grew up 2 hours from it, but didn't realize it existed until it was almost gone. The West Baden Springs Hotel in West Baden--in southern Indiana--is one of the most awesome buildings I've ever seen. It was a magnificent hotel built at the turn of the century and had the largest free-standing dome in the world for over 60 years (until the Astrodome was built). The dome, the exterior, lobby, dining room, and gardens have been restored. It is only about an hour north of Interstate 64 and maybe about 2 hours south of Indy. For anyone who is interested in architecture or history, it would be well worth your while to take this scenic side trip. I've been there twice, and I know I'll be taking others there, again.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 12:09 PM
al

Wow, I was there 2 years ago and it really great. An amazing building with beautiful grounds and a great story to go along with it. A hidden treasure for sure. (Pearce, by chance did your guide claim the hotel as the birthplace of tomato ketchup?)

West Baden is also stones throw from French Lick, hometown of Larry Bird, for any Celtics/Pacers/ISU fans out there.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Pearce

Yes, except we were told tomato juice--maybe it was both! There were a lot of great stories, weren't there? One of my favorite things there was watching others walk into the atrium (especially the kids), and seeing their mouths drop open in amazement when they were looking up at the dome. I could do that this time, because the first time I went, I was too busy being the one with my head back and my mouth open.
There are also lots of caves within an hour driving time of West Baden/French Lick. It's a beautiful part of the country, and I'm glad I live in it!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Bo

We just visited West Baden last week! We took the combination tour, where we toured the hotel AND took a 20 mile train ride on an old time train through a national forest and a half-mile long tunnel. To get from the hotel tour to the train, you take a short trip on a REALLY old trolley. A sign in the French Licks resort hotel says that it is the shortest trolley line in the U.S. As for the tomato stuff, I recall that our tour guide said it was a cook at the French Lick Springs hotel that invented tomato juice, but I could be wrong on that. My husband and I took our 6 and 8 yr old children with us, and they really enjoyed both the tour and the train ride.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:54 PM
xxx

ttt