Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can I anyone tell me about the Shipshewana flea market/auction....and other questions?

Can I anyone tell me about the Shipshewana flea market/auction....and other questions?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Silly

Has anyone been to this? How much time can one expect to spend at the flea market and/or auction? Are there any good places to eat lunch while there? Is this worth a side trip from Chicago to see an Amish community?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Jen

Shipshewana in itself has very little to do with the Amish community. When I was there last year there was one small diner run by the Amish that served excellent pie, but that was about it.

It is your basic, every day flea market. Set up in a field, there are rows and rows of vendors selling everything from homemade crafts to copies of Elvis' driver license. We saw everything we wanted to see in less than a full day. It was very hot, with little shade, and very crowded.

The flea market is only open a few days of the week. I really don't know much about the auction. There may be other things to see/do there, but I'm in no hurry to go back.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:19 AM
deevee

I was really surprised to read the above post. I think Shipshe is fun.

True, the flea market is a flea market. It is large though and varied - everything from discounted new goods to kitschy crafts to fantastic antiques. We like the spice stands where you can pick up good quality spices in bulk for a song.

The flea market is not Amish but Shipshewana is. There are buggies and bicycles driven by men with long beards and women sporting prayer caps all over the place.

If you're hankering for the real Amish experience just take a short drive. You'll find that most of the Amish don't live in town. Their homes are big, tidy and always painted white. They keep their beautiful gardens in the front yards, right beside the clothesline where the day's load of authentic Amish garb is drying in the breeze. Along the roads are dozens of home based businesses where you can purchase everything from eggs to furniture to quilts.

Back in Ship you can browse the many non-Amish shops or stop into the Menno-Hof Visitor's Center. (I've never made it in there but I suppose it is a museum-ish place that educates about Amish culture.) You can also arrange for a buggy ride.

There is more than one small diner, although the one the poster referred to is a goody. I can't remember the name of it but it is a low brown building on the main drag. In addition to the excellent pie they serve a mean, cool homemade rootbeer. That alone is worth the drive from Chicago in my opinion ;^)

If you want more than diner food, root beer and pie then head uptown to The Blue Gate. It may have still been closed for renovations when the other poster was there. The food is very good. The Buggy Wheel is another option - just one block east and south of the center of town. They have a lunch buffet that is always yummy.

You can also arrange for a meal served in an Amish home. I've never done this but I have friends who have enjoyed the experience. Remember though, you might not want to do this at the peak of summer or winter, no air conditioning and kerosene heat.

There are a couple of new motels in town and several nice looking B&B's in the area that serve up Amish baked goods with breakfast.

I hope you'll come. It's less than three hours from Chicago but decades removed from big city life.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:26 AM
xxx

We like Shipshewana also. The auction is unbelievable. There are eight to twelve auctions going on at the same time. I think it's only there on Wednesday. And the flea market is Tuesday and Wednesday. I may be wrong--haven't been there for awhile.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
julie

Flea Market only open on Tue and Wed. BIG new resturant in town. Painted Blue and think its Blue Gate. Just opened last year I think. Also near Nappanee is Good rest, The Essenhaus I think.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Silly

From the majority of replies, I think it will be well worth a trip to Shipshewana, if not just for the unique experience and appreciation of a lifestyle so unlike what we are used to here in the "big city" where we live! I appreciate your comments.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 06:38 AM
travelin gal

Wow, I've never heard of this place!

We will be going to Chicago soon and I would like to find it, and can't seem to place it on the map.

How far is it from Chicago? Would someone please give me basic directions?

Thanks all, this board is great!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:22 AM
junkie

Yes, do tell! Never heard of it and sure do wanna gooooooo!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:53 AM
xx

Shipshewana is listed at Mapquest as 134 miles (East) and 2 hr./38 min. from Chi. It is south of I80-I90 between
exits 107 & 121
Former crewmembers of the USS Trathen DD530 will be holding a mini reunion there 2-4 June, 2003. If you ever served on the ship, you can find out about the Association at [email protected].

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 09:55 AM
thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I'm THERE! lol

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
tt

ttt

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:14 PM

You can get more info at: www.tradingplaceamerica.com

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:55 PM
xxx

ttt