Weekend Trip out of Boston for a Lone Woman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a glorious day it is in Boston! (Sorry, just had to get that out there.)

Anyway, I have been thinking about taking a weekend by myself and getting out of the city. For the life of me, I can't decide where to go! I don't want to drive more than about 2 hours outside of Boston. I don't want to spend more than $100/nt on a hotel since I'll be by myself. All I want is to relax, read, go hiking, take photos, enjoy some solitude in the woods away from city life. I'm definitely leaning towards southern NH and would ideally like to find a place near a lake or river. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what towns might be nice and places to stay? I would prefer a smaller inn or b&b to a chain motel. I would even consider renting a cabin or cottage. I know this might sound vague and I am usually very good about researching ideas, but I am having trouble with this one. I guess I just need a general direction. There are too many nice places in New England and I just can't choose! This is exactly why I need to get away from it all for a weekend!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM

Hi-Lucky you. I lived in Rockport Mass for 10 years and I always recommend it. Although you don't mention the time period; Rockport is less crowded in the off season and it is glorious (even in the summer.) There are places you can walk and be alone (the Headlands) - just up Atlantic Street -- I used to go there with my wine. Also, IMO - the greatest photography gallary - R Lerch is fabulous on Bearskin neck. It's worth a visit just to see his stuff - it's so calming. Okay, nice restaurants and beauty as well -- lots of photo ops. You will feel like you are out of Boston. Best of all -- only 45 miles. (Go to Gloucester, too)
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM

Can't belive I spelled gallery wrong.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

I love Rockport and Gloucester as well. But I really want to get out of the city for a whole weekend and that's not exactly what I had in mind. I go up the coast a lot to visit my friends so it wouldn't be a change of pace to go up to that area. As far as time period, it will have to be sometime this summer as that will be the first chance I get. I'm thinking smaller, more rural, NE town near a lake, but not too far from Boston and not even in Massachusetts.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM

What about heading out west to Lenox or Northampton? Lovely inns out that way and Canyon Ranch if you're into the spa thing. A friend of mine just did a solo weekend in Newport (opposite direction, I know), but in the off-season and loved it. Also in the opposite direction, Truro and Wellfleet have some very nice quiet spots, even during the height of summer, that would allow for reflection and reading. Could hike on the railway trail. It really is a glorious day! I went out for lunch and thought I would never come back!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 04:53 AM

I don't have personal experience at this place but the location is good
http://www.dragonfliesbnb.com/dragonflies_location.htm
Another place is Turtle Pond B&B in Warner NH. Again, too close to home so no personal experience. However, heading into the Mink Hills is very rural but Warner is a lovely small town near Concord NH and handy to Rt 89. It has an independent bookstore Bookends of Warner where you might find some interesting activities or lectures depending on the weekend. You might want to travel to Concord or New London for dinner. Also in Warner is Mt Kearsarge for a little hiking. The town also has a river and several covered bridges. There's a couple of interesting shops. You might want to visit David Carroll's studio (Year of the Turtle). The Dragonflies location should be pretty quiet even for a Main St location. It's a little closer to New London. The kayak races in Webster (next to Warner) will be April 22 & 23. Very interesting and very low key. You won't see crowds. There's a marked trail on the opposite side of the river for a little hiking and ought to be great for some photos of whitewater kayaking. It's still mud season here.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM

I don't think that most lakeside places and cottages open until mid-May. bayside-inn.com doesn't seem to list dates on their website but would be perfect, with the breathtaking hike up Mt. Major practically across the street.

Check out visitnh.com for some ideas.

How about Cape Cod? Many places are open year-round, traffic is light in April and early May, and rates are half what they are in summer.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

dfrostnh - Thank you so much for sending the link to the Dragonflies B&B. This actually looks like exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, in the right area and right price! I am not planning this litte trip for myself until later this summer, or possibly even not until the fall. How are the crowds up there during these peak periods?
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Hi Carlyshells, your question about crowds made me chuckle. Sutton is an overlooked area although it is very close to New London which is a college town. It's just not one of the big, popular tourist destination places. It's one of the areas we might drive through on a Sunday drive. Check the local newspaper for events before you arrive. We like to explore towns like Washington, Hillsborough Upper Village, Andover. Last June we attended a get together in Washington, stopped in Hillborough Upper Village where there was an Art Show. The one room school house was open for visitors. I don't think anything had been touched since it was closed. Books etc were still there. In August we almost always attend Old Farming Days at Musterfield Farm in North Sutton. The farm was privately owned until fairly recently. They have a great truck garden and small farmstand. Wonderful cut flowers for sale. It's probably one of the most beautiful farms in NH. The event is usually the weekend before Labor Day. Different farm skills are demonstrated. The young 4-H working steer club members practice taking their young oxen thru an obstacle course. My husband gets all excited about the tractor parade at 3pm. I think it's about 100 yards long, just goes down the maple shaded lane and circles the field. They don't seem to publicize this event very well so I don't think more than a few hundred people attend. I'd say that might be about as crowded as it gets in Sutton. There will be more traffic in the fall when there's more people driving around. Warner does a pretty good Fall Foliage Festival which draws thousands. There's a little state park in Washington where friends like to kayak on Sunday afternoons after the crowds leave. On one of the main roads there's also a dairy farm which also raises exotic birds. They have old farm equipment on display, too, and the public is welcome to visit. They just like to do it. If you have any questions about the area, please feel free to email me [email protected] It doesn't take many miles to get off the beaten path.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:03 PM

Hi Carlyshells,
I am a life-long Bostonian, and though I realize you mentioned S.NH just thought I would mention Nantucket or Marthas Vineyard. While extremely expensive in the summer and fall .. you can get great deals in the spring, and there are countless B&Bs. I'm more familiar with Nantucket, and can't recommend it enough. It's gorgeous, peaceful, quiet, and filled charm like no other place. It's wonderful for walks and bike rides. Good luck whatever you decide !!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM

HI Carlyshells-

I just came back from Nantucket. The had a nice daffodil festival this past weekend, rented a 4x4, drove on the beach and through the moors. Had a blast. A little pricey, $125 Anchor inn, $16 slow ferry, $29 flight, $110 Jeep rental, so for an overnight a little bit of money but way fun in that Jeep. In the summer we'll bike though.