Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

mercury retrograde while traveling with a complex itenerary

Apr 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

does anyone worry about july's mercury retrograde when you'll be travelling on planes, renting cars, staying in hotels or cottages, driving in unfamiliar territory to see sights that interest everyone and where intense traffic needs to be avoided so you can catch ferries?

this is my concern for landing in seattle july 18, renting a car to do the western penninsula (quinalt and hoh river roads, olympia hot springs, cresent lake, hurricane ridge). we'll sleep over and take the PA ferry next morning for a week in victoria. coming back from victoria july 25 on the earliest ferry, we'll pick up another rental car in PA, make the non-stop mad dash down eastern side of penninsula to sea-tac for flight to oakland and another week of stuff (surf lessons in santa cruz, trip to big sur, rehearsal dinner and wedding in tilton park) before heading home to boston on august 2. mercury is retrograde the entire trip except for flight home. Yikes!

maybe just forget about it and try to be super flexible. things can always happen anyway, so you never know. i need an attitude that works if things do go wrong. any suggestions?
corwin.
Apr 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Looks like we don't have any astrologers here on Fodor's!I try not to worry about things like that,although I know what you're talking about.For me fear is not a helpful motivator,so I try to avoid it at all costs!
Apr 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM

You're trying to do all that Olympic Peninsula stuff you listed on your first day? You're setting yourself up for a stressful trip-if you plan better, there's less chance of things going badly.
Apr 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

well, we might not get it all in. it doesn't really matter. i can add an extra day or two if need to at the time of doing it. could be foggy/rainy, so might skip views. main goal is to see a rainforest and the hot springs. have 10 year old skateboarding son, and 14 year old finicky girl, so must prioritize my go-with-the-flow of whether we're having fun or not. nothing worse than tension while traveling.
the penninsula and big sur is for ME, i am so moved by nature. the surfing is for children. they have never been to west coast at all, despite my sister living in duncan, bc and brother in oakland (getting married). i am trying to do a lot, but will stay flex.

any astrologers out there? please chime in.... i am not one myself. just a newly single mom trying to take a trip.
thanks, guys. corwin
Apr 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM
TheWeasel

If you're not an astrologer, why are you worried about this? I know nothing about it, but I can tell you that it wouldn't worry me at all. The only thing I look at before a trip is sunrise/sunset so I know how much daylight I'll have.

Apr 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I am travelling in July. When is July's retrograde exactly? I don't worry about it exactly but would expect things to get more messed up.
Apr 30th, 2006, 12:06 PM

Well, I say just go with your trip and be prepared for bumps in the road if Mercury is retrograde, just be prepared to go with the flow, certainly don't cancel your trip, I never would let Mercury dictate my life!!
Apr 30th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

july 5-30 is next mercury retrograde. the best i figure anyone can ever do is plan for contingencies, but i'm not sure i know how to do that given my itenerary.

that's the specific advice i'm looking for,
what are contingencies when you're on the move completely dependent on rented transportation, rented lodgings, and weather in unfamiliar territoriy to keep things moving right in the right direction.
does anyone have an almanac for weather in pacific northwest this july?
corwin
Apr 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM

You just flat won't be able to do all of the things on the Olympic Peninsula that you plan for in one day. Better start prioritizing. US 101 is a two-lane road, for the most part, and there are dozens of logging trucks going both ways to intimidate you. Plan on averaging 40 mph.
Apr 30th, 2006, 07:32 PM

your question is really more about astrology than travel... and i'm afraid here at Fodor's we're more about travel!

there must be websites for a discussion about astrological matters.

better yet i suggest you schedule an appointment with an astrologer and have a reading specific to your own chart, the chart of the trip dates, and how the retrograde will play out.
Apr 30th, 2006, 07:37 PM

as far as the weather (spoken as someone who has been living in the PNW for over 20 years), i don't see how or why it would effect your plans. rain or shine, do what's on your agenda, just dress appropriately.

now for the tight scheduling, like your mad dash to SeaTac, that seems more like where things could go wrong, retrograde or no. i would begin to scale back your itinerary, or add time to any critical parts (cut a couple days from a full week in Victoria, which seems awful long anyways, and put some leeway into other parts of your schedule, for example).
Apr 30th, 2006, 08:28 PM

If I read my horoscope and it says I'll have a great day, trip or life, I believe it. If it doesn't agree with what I already know is true, I would never give it a moment's thought.
Apr 30th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

i guess i'm not really worried about astrology, just my ability to plan this trip effectively. i keep hearing scale back. so, how long do i need to get around the western penninsula to PA to see a few things?
or rather, how long does it take when you don't see anything? then i'll factor in a half day for quinalt rain forest and a half day for olympia hot springs further up. if weather is nice, we'll see cresent lake when we drive by it. anyone got ideas on places to stay that are nice but not tooo pricey?
hope gas isn't $6 a gallon by then. i hear it might be.....
thanks for the feedback. when i read my posts it screams 'lack of road trip experience!' just about anyone has more travel experience than me. my travel mates will get unpleasant if i plan poorly. so guys, advice heeded. less time in victoria it is.

corwin
May 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM

It doesn't matter if you have "lack of experience" it just matters that you will put your foot out the door.
I'm predicting you'll have a divinely wonderful time.
May 1st, 2006, 09:15 AM

There are tons of older posts about sights in Olympic if you search, and you can mapquest distances. That should help you plan better.
May 1st, 2006, 10:39 AM

Ya know, I was laughing at this at first, but being a really dead-on Gemini and ruled by Mercury, I have had a load of crazy things happen at that time. Things I don't want to mention to make you worry more, lol, you sound like my Mother. I have a friend who's a Gemini and she always calling me when it's 'grade and asking what has happened. Insane! It goes on with her, too.
May 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM

I know I already hinted at this but I can't imagine 3 days in Victoria wouldn't be enough for you. It's teeny tiny. Put the "extra" 4 days into the Peninsula and your various road trip days.
May 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

well, LLindaC and suze,
the retrograde affects all those travel arrangements, communications, machinery (cars), etc, which in turn affects the people depending on them. if you've got lots of gemini, and i do, you're pretty sure to be affected in some annoying way. just hate the thought of traveling for delight of the senses and relaxation only to spend the time foiled and therefore frustrated. especially when traveling with judgemental teens.
suze, i have a sister who lives in a pretty nice house on the bay outside of duncan, short block to the beach, nice large terraces. she's a bit unusual, and therefore always interesting to be around. instead of college, she travelled around the world three times in four years, ultimately settling in india and nepal for 10 years. she studies dreams, reads tarot cards, practices gazing (rumi and shams), is an outstanding yoga instructor, and is the one that did my chart -- that's how i know i have gemini in 6 houses or six houses in gemini -- whatever. i don't really get it, but i like her for her uniqueness, and i always learn something i wouldn't normally hear or read about. plus, i don't get to see her and her two children very often, and can't wait to see her place. bc and newburyport are so far apart.

that's the long winded way of saying we won't be staying in victoria, but hanging with the relatives in duncan in a house on the bay at the beach. sound a little better?

LOL, corwin
May 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

hi bobmrg,

did you get my apology? i appreciated your feedback. funny thing is, all my life i have always taken on too much, so your comments were particularly meaningful. thanks in advance for being forgiven for overstepping my bounds.

corwin
May 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM

We went to tradeshows for our business during Mercury Retrograde twice. The first one was dreadful, our hotel had no record of our reservations,lost orders, late orders, mischarges, tons of issues. The second one, we took precautions. We double checked travel accomodations and reservations and kept spotless records and had contingency plans. Miscommunications abound during this time, so it is wise you are thinking ahead!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO