Weekend parking at Metro stations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am considering the Grand Hyatt for the weekend of April 2-4, but I understand that the hotel parking is $20 per day.
I have seen that parking at suburban metro stations is free on weekends, so I was wondering if it is possible to park at one on a Friday evening, and leave it till Sunday? Would it be safe? Also, is there alternate parking in the area of the Grand Hyatt?
Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

Sorry, but where? Paris, Montreal, the Metroliner?

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:33 AM
emd

He's talking about D.C. There is some street parking that is hard to come by but it is downtown and I wouldn't leave my car on the street overnight personally (I work downtown and live in the burbs). I also wouldn't leave my car parked overnight at a metro parking lot. The lots are unmanned on weekends, anyone could come up and mess w/your car without any trouble at all.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:49 AM

If you want cheap & secure parking, park at long term lot at Reagan Nat'l and take the free shuttle to the Nat'l Airport Metro stop ($6/day). Shuttle ride takes about 5 min and is free. Another option is the overnight area at Greenbelt metro stop that is somewhat guarded ($2/day).
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:05 PM
emd

Greenbelt is pretty far out there, but the Natl. Airport is a very good idea, I'm going to remember that one. Thanks for the info, bardo.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:25 PM

From the WMATA website about parking at the metro stations: Multiple day parking is available at three stations: Greenbelt, Huntington and Franconia-Springfield. Just thought you'd want to know in case you're coming in from the south.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM

There are private parking garages all over central DC. Colonial and PMI are the two biggest names. They usually charge about $12-15 a day. Colonial garages in Georgetown charge $12-13, so I imagine it wouldn't be more than that. www.ecolonial.com is one URl for their garages. The garage at Union Station isn't that far away, either, and I think their rates are $12 a day.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:23 AM
emd

internetwiz: I live close to Franconia Springfield station and use that station, and although it is open for multiple day parking on weekends, it is unmanned...
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 07:09 AM

Aside from the aforementioned metro stations, overnight parking is not permitted. You may be ticketed and/or towed.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM

I'm pretty sure there's also multiple day parking at the Amtrak/Metro station at New Carrolton, Maryland, although that's probably a half hour subway ride to downtown. I've parked there before and taken the train to Philly for a couple days. I don't know if the parking is guarded or not, although I remember a camera. My car was fine when I returned, but who knows????