Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Parking in DC? Anywhere to park inexpensively overnight?

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're currently staying at the Hilton Embassy Row and their parking charge is $25/day. My husband was thinking maybe we could leave our vehicle in a lot somewhere out of the city, a Metro lot perhaps, and pay much less, paying just two round trip Metro fares plus the lower parking charge to transfer the car. We'll be in the city for a total of 6 nights (not consecutive), probably not needing use of the car at all, so his idea makes sense, but I don't know if it is safe or feasible or where exactly to look. Maybe a long term lot near the airport? Any ideas to help us out?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:31 PM

The economy lot at Reagan National is $9.00 and a very short yellow or blue metro ride. There is multi-day parking at some metro lots, see http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/daily-parking.cfm for the list. I've used Huntington, one of the multi-day lots (end of the yellow line) and not had a problem, but you never know. Metro parking must be paid with a smart card, so you'd have to purchase one of those, explained on the website above. I would also be a little wary of leaving my car too many days in a metro lot, but the airport sounds good.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM

National airport probably makes the most sense and would be the only place I would be comfortable leaving my car for that long.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:57 PM

the parking deck under the hall of states, on either nj ave or hmm, i think f st is 12 or 14 per day. i leave my car there when i am in the city if i am staying at the hotel george across the street from the enterance of it, or at places around dupont circle.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, sprin2, MikeT and justme22. Based on your comments, he's going to the airport.