Weekend in the UP

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend in the UP

Hi Everyone,
I live in Mpls and I was thinking about taking an overnight trip up to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Is there any recommendation for good places to see and stay close to the Wisconsin/Minnesota area?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:21 AM

What are you planning on doing? Most people that go to the UP this time of year are huntin'.
JoeG
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:52 AM

We loved Tequemehnen (sp?) Falls and White Fish Bay but they are closer to the MI. side then Wisc.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Kitch-iti-kipi (Big Springs) is fairly close, though you will probably only spend 30 minutes to an hour there.

How about Fayette State Park near Escanaba? A steel foundry, ghost town, set on a gorgeous harbor with good hiking in the area.

Keith
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I don't have any specific ideas of what I want to do..just hike and relax. I want to have a short weekend out of town and I have explored most of WI and all of MN and have never been to MI. Just wanted to see something new and get away without having to drive too far...thanks for the tips!
Jen
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 11:34 AM

Haven't been that way in quite some time but Iron Mountain was kinda neat as I recall as well as Escanaba, Manistique. Hwy 2 kinda runs along the lake. Was a beautiful drive. Not sure how far you want to go but Sault Ste Marie is always fun.Check out Michigan's tourism website for hiking info? Good luck!
Pam
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Hi Jen,
I'm originally from Baraga County at the base of the Keweenaw Peninsula, and the western UP can be beautiful!

The Porcupine Mts. park near Ontonagon is a good place for hiking scenery and camping (depending on time of year). You could spend days there.

Bond Falls near Trout Creek is pretty, but only a picnic-length stop.
Silver Mountain and the Sturgeon River Gorge are great - the former is a long stair climb up to a great overlook, in the middle of the woods, the latter is a deep remote river gorge.

Tons of scenic beauty throughout Keweenaw Peninsula/Copper Country.

These are all outdoorsy things (which is what UP offers best). But your enjoyment will vary with time of year. The fall colors are likely all gone now, and it's not always safe to wander the woods during hunting season. When you go will be an important factor.