Search

Weekend in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend in Chicago

I'm flying into O'Hare from the UK on Saturday August 25 with my husband and 12 year old granddaughter. Before moving on to visit friends in Dayton I thought it would be nice to spend the weekend in Chicago. From what I've read I think it would be good to see the fireworks at Navy Pier and also do an open top bus tour. Is there anything special on that weekend or am I safe in leaving it a while before booking a hotel? Preferably I'd like to be within walking distance of Navy Pier but would that mean I'd be far away from everything else? I've never booked a hotel on Priceline as lots of people recommend here, would there be any problem doing that as there are three of us?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I would do a river boat (architechtural) tour instead of a bus if pressed for time. A couple of them leave from the Navy Pier. Also, don't miss the stained glass museum on the pier (free).

Do you plan to go up at Hancock? There is a spot where she can pose as a "windowwasher" and you take her picture. There is a plaza by Hancock, a little below the sidewalk level with an Italian gelato/coffee place, stop for refreshments.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Summer is tourist season here. I'd book as soon as possible.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM

That weekend is the Latin Music Fest. I don't know what sort of crowds it gets, but I wouldn't chance leaving a hotel for the last minute.

Almost any hotel in the Loop, River North or North Michigan Avenue area will be fine.

If you've never used any of the hotel bidding sites like Priceline or Hotwire, check www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com for pointers. I'm not sure if you can specify a room with two beds, but those sites can give you such info.

Most hotels and tourist attractions are in a relatively compact area and the city is very walkable. Public transit is plentiful and you can also use the free trolleys that connect most of the landmarks. For info on buses and trains, check www.transitchicago.com.

The free trolleys run daily from 10 am to 6 pm until the first Monday of September. Check maps of the routes at the City of Chicago Transportation Department site at: http://tinyurl.com/37thx2
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice, folks. I have to confess that I'd never heard of the Hancock Tower before planning this trip
but I think that's something we'll definitely do. As my parents were both stained glass makers, I'll also not miss the museum.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM

The John Hancock Building is the third tallest in Chicago and the fourth tallest in the US. (The John Hancock Tower is in Boston.)

While it's a few floors shorter than the Sears Tower, it's closer to the shopping areas and other attractions. You can either visit the observatory on the 94th floor or stop in at the lounge on 96 for a drink/snack for about the same cost.

Full info on the building, restaurant and observatory are at www.jonhancockcenterchicago.com.

For hotels, you may want to look into the suite-type hotels for a bit of extra space. There are several in the North Michigan Avenue area including 2 Embassy Suites, Omni Hotel, Residence Inn, Homewood Suites and Hampton Inn & Suites.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM

quikbook.com works well for Chicago, also.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:41 PM

If you are going to be nitpicky, at least get it right. It's the John Hancock Center, not the John Hancock Building.