Need help chosing 4-5 Star Chicago Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to spend an anniversary weekend in Chicago in September. We are first time visitors. The important things are (no particular order)

*Not too fussy looking
*4 or 5 star
*Updated rooms and bath with tub. Rooms not too small.
*Located within nice walking distance from parks and museums.
*I will not be shopping on this vacation.
*Upscale Eclectic restaurants in walking distance.
*No thin walls or noisy L-trains too close.
*A view of the Lake or river would be a plus but since we spend so much time outside it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks for your help!!
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Nice City view of the lights would be fine too!!
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:59 PM
JJ5

I live near Chicago and grew up in Chicago, Southside Ashburn- so I'll just tell you what I have experienced.

In the last two years, I have stayed downtown 4 times and always liked most the 2 hotels I'm gotten on the River, or mid-section.

Chicago is basically divided by three for your "problem". Michigan Ave. which is the most shopping/Water Tower, River (mid) or Loop proper. Most tourists like Michigan Ave. the most. I don't and I've stayed that end twice. I like Museums, Grant Park,Art Institute, Cult. Center, Theater Dist.and State Street much better. For that you would want something Loop or River.

River is mid and has gozillion restaurant choices. You can eat well in all three areas, but some big beautiful 4 or 5 star hotels have less access to walking to many restaurant choices easily, although they may have some great choices within. Having said that, I am a walker and in Sept. you could walk or transport easily into any other spot of these three.

For an anniversary weekend you may want quiet, elegant, romantic. My one 35 year married girl friend always goes to the Renaissance /Omni on the River. Very romantic river walkway/patio areas. I think it used to be called Hotel Niko, it's where Oprah's guests stay. It would fulfill all your criteria.

I myself can only tell you specific things about places I have stayed. Rooms are all fine on these below. Intercontinental has fantastic pool on the roof. This pool is from another era and not to be confused with anything mustered up today. Swissotel is farther out but has a view from their pool/gym that on a clear day you can see the entire curve of the lakefront down to Hyde Park.

Pennisula is the one that is rated #1 in the country, on the last survey I saw- not just Chicago. The Drake is older and still good. The Palmer House is Loop and I like it. There are probably 30 other very nice smaller boutique hotels that would work for you too. If you want Loop, and you might if you want Museums- remember that East by the lake is still busier than west loop on weekends. We walked west from theater district on a Sat. night very late and there were still quite a few people out, though.

Having prattled on, I conclude with this. I never, ever book direct in Chicago- although it sounds like you may. Chicago market features some fantastic Priceline rates.

If you bid 4 star on Priceline, most of the time you will get the Hyatt or Swissotel. Last time I got weekend for $70 and rack rates were over three times that amount. September has some busy weekends, so if you are going to bid or use Hotwire.com or any of those other discount brokers, do it now. You can not cancel and money is carded immediately upon reservation.

For more specific hotel information put in Chicago hotel and you will get many threads on this forum in the last 4 or 5 months.

Remember parking is always extra $$$, so if you do use Hotwire or some other discount broker, remember that you will still have to pay to park your car.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Is the Renaissance /Omni on the River one in the same?

We will fly in and just take a taxi - so fortunately we won't need parking.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:02 AM
JJ5

No. Omni is two different locations now and that is neither of them. One is 676 N. Michigan and the other is Gold Coast.

Renaissance is Mag.Mile also. I'll try to find the name now of that particular one with the riverwalk direct access.

Intercontinental, Hyatt on the River are both mid located huge hotels and closer to various excellent restaurants than Swissotel. A lot depends on not just 4 or 5 star but size hotel you might want.

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Nancy-Have stayed at Four Seasons, Park Hyatt and Pennisula. FS most "fussy" looking (in a good way), Park Hyatt most minimalist feeling. Pennisula right in between. My husband loved the Pennisula bath the most as it has a fabulous flat screen TV right at the end of it. The Park Hyatt tub/bathroom had a sliding glass door so he could be in the tub and still be a part of the room. Enjoy-they are all great)
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:28 AM
JJ5

Different travel maps and web sites give different information because of name changes and other factors.

There is a Renaissance Chicago at 1 W. Wacker on the river. I'm sure that has to be it.

You can get all these reviewed with pictures of the rooms etc. and a map of all the many possibilites. Google hotel Chicago map and you will see what I mean. Westin 320 N. Dearborn and Hyatt Regency both have featured specials that I came across with a google search.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM

The Renaissance is on the south side of Wacker Drive (odd numbered addresses are always on the south or east side of a street). The hotel with access to the riverwalk is likely the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, east of Michigan Ave. and on the north side of the river--actually a decent location if you want to check out the Mag Mile and Navy Pier, and also not too bad a walk to Millenium Park. Lakeview rooms are available.

Swissotel may have best lake views--Fairmont may have decent as well.

September has the most consistently good weather, so you should be able to do a fair bit of walking!

Racy
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:04 AM
JJ5

Thanks, Racy.

For my own information alone I wanted to know what hotel that was adjacent to the area I stayed in last time. And you are right it was N.of the River, as I could view it across/and from the Hyatt.

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Slw

Swisshotel has rooms with great views of the lake. Not all do so you have to ask for them. The room decor is modern and streamlined. The baths are fairly large and all marble with a large shower and a large tub. I have gotten it through Priceline and also Hotwire for waay reduced rates.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Burnham?
Renaissance?
or
Swisshotel?

I am leaning toward the Swisshotel because it looks like we can come out of the hotel and walk right into the park area along the lake and head to the museums, plus have a great view of the Pier for the fireworks in the evening. They have a buy 2 nights get 3rd free promotion for an executive level King room (which appear to be on the upper floors).

I also like the Burnham (for the boutique/intimate feel) and Renaissance for the riverviews and the nice baywindows.

I see on the Chicago website this is Chicago Jazz Festival that weekend (Labor Day weekend).

Are we making a mistake in going then?

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM

I saw Samantha Brown feature the Hotel Monaco in Chicago once & thought it would be wonderful. I have not been to Chicago yet but we did stay at the Hotel Monaco in Denver and it was very sweet. Great boutique hotel and it was $111 per night. We were upgraded to a suite since they were in on my little secret (I told hubby that he was going to be a Daddy there!). We also stayed at a Hotel Monaco affiliate in San Fran and it was adorable also. I don't see how you can go wrong. They bring a goldfish to your room during your stay just to keep you company. I recognized the hotel on hotwire through a customer's review. She said the unnamed hotel provided them a goldfish for their room that they named "Fluffy". LOL
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
JJ5

Nancy03, the Swissotel is EAST of all and you can not walk right out in the direction you are describing. There are upper and lower drives (expressway/highway) there you can not easily cross.

The hotel has great views because of this easternmost stance, but the walk to other buildings / Mich.Ave. or North or South requires you to walk back to Michigan Ave. to make the bridge transport.

That is why there are people who prefer not to have that location- because you will have to walk West all of the time. Or go through the other buildings in the underground Hyatt/shop/restaurant complex that exits the Swissotel's lower level. The Palm is the upscale restaurant in the Swissotel. We had lobster there and it was good, but you will have many, many restaurant choices closer to your hotel in most other Loop River, or Mich. Ave. spots.

I've gotten Swissotel on Priceline twice and think it is a fine choice myself, but does require much more walking.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Most here are posting about the usual suspects. I do love the Four Seasons and The RC in Chicago, but maybe what you are looking for is a more quiet, boutique hotel with great location. There are some fabulous small hotels in and around the Golden Mile/River North area.

Here is a link that may help you to find one of these smaller properties:

http://chicago.citysearch.com/roundup/40180/chicago/.html?cslink=profile_edroundup_1_3_noncust&ulink=p rofile_9_edroundup_3___roundup__1

Have a great trip!
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

AA: Thanks!!! I would not have been happy with what you described. I didn't realize the extent of the roads there. I looked at the 4S but it is in the shopping area and too far north of the museums.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:52 PM

We stayed at the Burnham about 3-4 yrs ago and it was terrific. As the above poster said, it has an intimate feel with all the little luxury touches found in a small boutique hotel. I really liked the location as we could walk to restaurants easily. I would tell anyone to stay there.
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Regarding the Jazz Festival on Labor Day weekend: this is one of the smaller and most sedate crowds of the summer fests. They have some great free acts. I think it would be a fun counterpoint to your museum-going.