Search

Weekend in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend in Chicago

Help! We are planning to stay in Chicago for 3 nights in April for my 50th birthday. Can anyone suggest a nice place to stay not over 150.00 a night. We will take taxi's wherever we go so maybe a great location would help. We will probably do the usual museums during the day but any suggestions for night would be great. The theatre, a play,a comedy club, I'm open for anything. Also any suggestions for dinner? Has anyone ever had dinner at Frontera Grill? Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:56 AM

You should be able to get some good deals in Chicago in April. Hotrooms.com is showing the Hotel Burnham, Allerton Crowne Plaza, Doubletree Guest Suites in your range in mid-April. Check out the convention bureau's site at www.choosechicago.com They have a good map of hotel locations.

Find a hotel in the North Michigan Avenue area or the Loop (downtown), and make a backup reservation. Then keep an eye on Expedia, hotrooms and the like for specials at one of the four-star hotels. Does your budget include taxes and parking?

Please do a search for Chicago on this site, as your other questions have been answered many times.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:06 AM

You know, if you come over the weekend, many Loop hotels would set you up for that much, because the business travelers are gone. Try the Omni.

For night, see what is playing at Chicago Shakespeare, or the Steppenwolf Theater. Second City shows a peculiarly Chicago improvisational comedy.

Don't forget the touristy things. I live in the area and I still get a kick out of the Sears and Hancock observatories, the Wendella boat tour, the Board of Trade. If you are into modern architecture, see the CIA.

As for dining--you can research www.metromix.com for reviews by the Tribune food critic, or a TV program about regular guys' favorite places,
http://www.wttw.com/checkplease/index.html. Both sort by cuisine, and metromix by location.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 11:59 AM

We enjoyed the interactive performances because the quality of Chicago actors is so good. One was ComedySportz, a super cheap ticket. The other one was Flanagan's Wake, a faux Irish wake. Hilarious!

If you want to be spontaneous, wait until you get there for nightlife - there is plenty. If you decide on theatre, visit the Half Price ticket places to see what is available. Often, they will have tickets to soldout shows, just in an 'obstructed view' seat. Have fun!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 03:09 PM

TRy the Allegro hotel. On the west end of Downtown but nice rooms and good price.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your help! I will try the websites to see what kind of deals I can get on lodging.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:50 AM

I've gotten great rates for Chicago hotels on quikbook.com. the site will give you descriptions of the hotels also. Suisshotel is great and you can usually get it for <150/night-great views of the lake. Great steakhouse, The Palms is there. It's just off Michigan at the north end of the Loop. The Intercontinental and Omni chicago both have great locations, are lovely and you can usually find good deals. Dont miss the art musuem-its fabulous. If you're a ssport's fan, try a baseball game.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. I will go to quickbook.com right now. People are really great on this website.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:10 AM

You might also check Priceline (go to biddingfortravel before you bid), www.hotrooms.com and www.877chicago.com for hotels. Most people like to stay on North Michigan Avenue, River North is also OK and I like the boutique class on Priceline (Hotel Allegro, Hotel Burnham and Hotel Monaco).

Hottix (1/2 price, same day tickets) is a great idea if you don't plan something before you come, they have a couple of branches, one near Michigan Avenue and one near the Marshall Field's on State. Website is www.hottix.org. You can get tickets on Friday for Sat and Sun as well.

Frontera Grill is very popular and I believe they don't take reservations so plan on a wait if it's a weekend night.

www.broadwayinchicago.com has info on the larger theatre offerings, you might want to get tickets in advance for these if you want decent seats. It looks like a touring production of Rent and Phantom of the Opera are here in April. You might look into Second City and Blue Man Group, weekend tickets should be purchased in advance, I rarely see anything but the really late show on Friday at Second City at Hottix.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Patti- nightlife- Andy's for jazz, Lily's for blues.