Reload this Page >

Weekend getaway ideas?

Search

Weekend getaway ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:31 AM
Jim

Weekend getaway ideas?

My family will be staying in Lady Lake (1 hour northwest of Orlando) with relatives over Christmas vacation. My wife and I (mid-thirties) are looking to get away without the kids the first weekend in January, preferablly near the water and not to far (a few hours) from Lady Lake. Maybe a nice ($200 - $300) hotel on a beach? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Jim

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:49 AM
SA

Check out Amelia Island (just north of Jax). You have B & B's in the 'old town', cottages or B & B on the water or resorts @ the other end of the island. Check out ameliaisland.org, ameliaisland.com or ameliaislandinns.com. If you are interested, respond & I will offer recommendations.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:07 PM
ladylake

I am familiar with Lady Lakes. It is also affectionately known as "Jurassic Park".

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Mike W

I agree with the Amelia Island suggestion. My wife and I (early thirties) went there last year, stayed at the Beachside Motel, enjoyed the restaurants, the antique shops and went horseback riding on the beach at Kelly C Horse Ranch.

The accomodations range from expensive (Amelia Plantation) to inexpensive (where we stayed). We did like the motel though, as we had one of only two rooms that front the ocean and have a full kitchen.

Best of luck and have fun....

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Jim

Thanks for the help. I am considering the Ritz at Amelia Island.
Jim

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Mikki

Depending on where you are from it may be cold (cool)in Amelia Island that time of year. I would head further south...
St. Pete, Sarasota, and Longboat Key wouldn't be too far for you. Take a look at the deals at the Don CeSar in St. Pete right now.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 05:56 PM
jane

I agree that Amelia Island is way too cold in January if you plan on getting in the water. Sarasota would be a nice alternative. Also, if the wind blows the wrong way, the paper mill smell is a little strong in old town, and on occasion near Amelia Island resorts.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:07 PM
xxx

ttt