Weekend Getaway for 5 year

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking for a nice romantic getaway for our 5 year anniversary. We are open to options whether a short driving distance or easy flight from NC. We have already been to Biltmore and stayed at the Inn, so we are looking for something either more low key or just different.

Thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

It would kind of depend on the timing but I am assuming it is soon (?) New Orleans comes to mind right away if your trip isn't being planned for later in the Summer (when it will be ghastly hot & humid). Driving, Charleston also comes to mind but w/the same caveat. Otherwise, I would probably head to the Mts. I'm not crazy about the Biltmore but there are tons of B & B's, Inns & romantic cottages scattered thoughout NC & Va. Both states also have great little wine areas (Charlottesville in Va. & around the Yadkin Valley in NC). www.yadkinvalletwineries.com, www.ncwine.org & www.virginiawines.org.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Our anniversary is not until August, so we still have time to plan.

We are looking for some specific recommendations of places to stay.

Also anyone have reviews of The Greystone Inn?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:12 PM

In North Carolina, Galvladi Mountain Inn is on the top of a mountain and not far from Sylva, Dillsboro or Waynesville. The highest point on the Blue Ridge is about a half hour away. The place is gorgeous with views that go on forever --they are at 4,000 feet on the top of a mountain and have lots of places for sitting and relaxing. Rooms are large with separate tubs and showers and comfortable chairs for sitting. We spent our 15th anniversary there last week. They also serve dinner to guests and pack picnic or hiking lunches. It is a beautiful place to relax. Web site is www.galvladi.com.

There is a place near Knoxville that I read about butterfly gap retreat that also looks wonderful. There are 4 separate cottages on the property designed for two people -- just google it. It is supposed to be about a half hour from the city and each cottage is very private -- I believe on 5 acres. I think it looks great and would like to try it also
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Would Williamsburg VA be a close plane ride?

We have stayed at Kings Mill Resort & Spa and have really enjoyed pampers and service. They do have some suites and cottages I belive as well as hotel rooms...
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Quick update>>they have suites on the website but no cottages.
They are running some packages: spa , romance etc. BTW they do have a reasonable dress code..I think if you are hopig for an elegant stay that is helpful...
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM

You might like Black Mountain, NC; we loved the Arbor House there - right on a little lake with a view of the mountains.