Weekend getaway by train from NYC

Old Oct 17th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend getaway by train from NYC

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a weekend getaway, just 1 or 2 nights, from NYC. Im hoping to travel by train with my boyfriend-visiting from France. Im looking for something romantic, possibly in the mountains or by a lake. My budget is quite small, a few hundred dollars.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Dozens of choices using Metro North in New York State and Connecticut, NJ Transit in NJ, Amtrak to Connecticut and Rhode Ialand and beyond or Philadelphia and south

Hundreds of dollars--to cover one night in an inn? 2 nights in an inn? Everything including train fare and meals? And is that $200 or $400 or...?

What time of year?
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM

The problem with a train trip from NYC is that you will need a car to get to many of the things you want to see outside the city. If you just want to stayin one small town - OK - but going to any other sights will be a major PIA probaly requiring taxis. (Outside of major cities our public transit is extremely limited).

And agree - what time of year. In good weather nice inns are usually big $.

The Hudson Valley has tons of interesting sights and some nice inns (but inexpensive places to stay are usually side of the highway motels) and doing without a car can be tricky.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Mystic has an Amtrak station. http://www.mysticseaport.org/
I'm quite sure you can find a motel/hotel within your budget. The other option is the Vermonter (Amtrak).
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 03:54 PM

You could take MetroNorth to Cold Spring which is right on the Hudson River--beautiful scenery, hiking nearby, quaint town for an overnight. There are a few hotels/B&Bs there, though I'm not positive if they are in your budget.

Other possibilities would be Amtrak to Rhinecliff/Rhinebeck or the town of Hudson, both on the Hudson River, for similar scenery and quaintness.