Search

Wedding in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wedding in Dallas

We are attending a wedding in the downtown area. Dont know if we should stay at the Fairmont, Adolphus, Magnolia or Hyatt. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:05 PM
yk

Where exactly is the wedding going to be held? "Downtown" means different parts of town to different people.

The Adolphus and Magnolia are pretty much next door to each other, and are in the financial section of "downtown." It gets pretty dead in the evenings and weekends, and not many restaurants or nightlife nearby. The original Neiman Marcus is there also.
I've never stayed at either one, but I've seen the rooms at Magnolia. They're ok - ask for a room in the higher floors. The ones I saw were lower down and quite dark. Magnolia is more of a modern-style, boutique hotel.

Adolphus is quite different in style, think of old money. I've never seen the rooms but have been to the lobby a few times. Dark, oak furniture etc. The restaurant there is supposed to be good, and they also have a nice afternoon tea.

Fairmont is located in the "Arts District" of downtown. It's at least a good 10-15 minute walk from the Adolphus/Magnolia. I've stayed there and the rooms are very nice. It's across the street from the Dallas Museum of Art/Nasher Sculpture Center/Crown collection of Asian Art. Also 2 blocks from Meyerson Center (where the symphony plays). But there's not many restaurants around either, except for Stephen Pyles. The lounge and restaurant at Fairmont serves decent food.

The Hyatt is in the "West End" section of downtown, which is separated from the other 2 sections I mentioned above. There's more to do around West End (JFK museum, Aquarium) and has more restaurants and nightlife. My parents have stayed at the Hyatt once, pretty decent.

Anyway, I think where you should stay depends on whether the actual wedding is, and how long you're staying (do you plan on sightseeing) and will you have a car.

Personally, I would not feel safe walking alone in the Adolphus/Magnolia area at night.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM
yk

Also to add:

Even though there aren't too many restaurants around Fairmont, you can take the free McKinney trolley (stop is 1 block from Fairmont) which will take you to "Uptown" where the young and hip folks live. Plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from.

The free trolley runs about 3x/hour and until 10pm at night.
http://www.mata.org/
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM

How are you traveling to the wedding? If you will have a car, my suggestion is to stay at the Renaissance (sp?) or another hotel about five minutes from downtown just off Stemmons freeway (also known as 35) or in the Oak Lawn neighborhood where good shopping/eating is in close proximity. If you are flying and trying to avoid renting a car, keep in mind the distance DFW airport is from downtown Dallas. If you can score a good weekend rate on a car it might be worth it when you factor in transportation costs for the lengthy commute to and from airport.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:29 AM
ellabella

I am a 30 year old female, and my vote is for the Magnolia. I've stayed at the Adolphus and its a bit too stuffy for me, although very nice. As for safety, there are plenty of taxis that can get you anywhere in the downtown/uptown area easily. I am curious though, where exactly is the wedding? We may be able to give you better advice if we knew.