Search

Naples in the Summer?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:05 PM
May
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples in the Summer?

Have a family member with a place in Naples and I would like to visit during July or August. Is it just too hot? Not many items on the itinerary except to visit the beaches. Are they unbearable this time of year? Or undesirable? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:01 PM

We have always done Naples,FLA in the summer as the hotel rates in the winter are prohibitive unless you want to sell your firstborn....

The weather is subjective..We went one year in June and had terrific weather..then did 2 week in Mid July and it rained 10 out of 14 days= (and trust me, if it is raining that much , You will RUN out of movies to see in Naples)..We ended up driving to the East Coast that time to see my parents and it was sunny and gorgeous...

Yes, the beaches are hot, but so are they all along ANYWHERE on the east coast of the US...Unbearable--not to me.....Undesirable--Naples, NEVER!

We normally stay at the Ritz Carlton because their rates are equal to the rates in SC and the hotel is 1000% nicer!!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:20 PM
dln

We too have family in Naples and have been there in the heat of summer. Believe it or not, one day it was one degree cooler in Naples than it was in Chicago!! Not that it felt cooler, mind you.

What we do is get up as early as we can and head to the beach, stay until we're starving for lunch, go back in to the AC at my parent's condo, rest up and relax, then head out around 5-ish for evening activities. That way we've made good use of the day without ever having been out in the severest sun.

A great beach is Clam Pass. You park, hop on the free shuttle tram, go 1/2 mile through the mangroves, and get dropped off at the beach. There's a snack bar, beach rentals, and bathrooms. The best part is that there's plenty of tree cover to take shade in. It's right by a very wonderful hotel--think it's the Registry, but I might be mistaken.

Naples is full of great restaurants, art galleries, shops....more than you'd really expect. You'll have a very good time visiting.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:21 PM

My Mom lived there for 20 years.I always enjoyed going in summer and winter.Sure it's hot, but you can hang out by the pool, beach, etc. Yes, it's hurricane season and tropical storms happen.But there are great sales in the stores, you don't have to make reservations in restaurants, the traffic's good and the rates are cheap. I'd rather be in Naples than Daytona Beach if it rained!!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:56 PM

We just returned from Naples a couple of weeks ago. Temps were in the low 90's. Naples is so nice I don't think there would be a bad time to visit. Rates are wonderful, and we can afford to stay at some nice places. Early evening is my favorite time, taking a walk on the beach near the pier, after dinner.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:03 PM
May
Original Poster

Very helpful suggestions, thank you,
I will have to see if Clam Pass or the other beaches are affected by red tide. If you have any other beach suggestions they would be appreciated, too, but I am really happy with the response thus far and hey, anything beats NYC in July/Aug! Thank you!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 04:40 PM

And if you want to get away for a day or two, just head over I-75 (aka Alligator Alley) to Fort Lauderdale area. Nicer beaches, but more expensive. You can get good rates on Priceline.com, or check out VISA card for Radisson 2-for-1 specials (Radisson Bahia Mar is my selection). It makes for a nice little getaway if you are staying a week or so. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:07 PM
dln

May, there is a post entitled "Red Tide in Fort Meyers/Sanibel" which gives the lowdown about it. Evidently there's a website to check so you'll know if it's in evidence when you're visiting.

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 03:10 PM

We were there last summer, and there was afternoon showers each day. It cooled it off. Naples is not as crowded in the summer so you can get in to resturants easier, and the hotels are cheaper at this time of year. It is usually just as hot as a SC beach, but nicer and not crowded. Naples has better shopping than SC beaches.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I am a nut for Naples, but in the summer, I prefer the Palm Beaches on the Atlantic.