Search

Weather in CA in March

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in CA in March

Hi!

We were thinking of taking a trip to California March 7-17th, but we're not sure what the weather will be like and if this is a good time to visit. We'd like to go to SF, Big Sur, Monterey, Yosemite, and anywhere else we can find time to fit in. This is the only time frame we have to work with right now. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:58 PM

mkathy

In SF you can pretty much expect it to rain most of the time in March. The further south you go the better the weather will be. Since this is your only time frame available, I'd recommend Monterey and Big Sur. In Yosemite it will be necessary to be prepared for snow. I believe that the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite is closed until early May. If you decide on not going to SF, flying into San Jose would be the most convenient for driving to Monterey, Big Sur, and Yosemite.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 10:19 PM

I would consider the weather in CA at that time as "variable". There is a quite decent chance that you would have little or no rain, while also a chance that you could have a weeklong series of storms come through (with a dry day between each). Southern CA is drier and warmer, typically the storms don't make it all the way down to LA. There is a distinct chance of snow in Yosemite valley at that time. It's definitely pretty early for N CA tourism, but if you won't be frustrated by the potential for rainy, cool weather you can enjoy it. In San Jose (a bit warmer and drier than SF) I would expect about 1 day in 5 of rain. In the Tahoe area, ski season will still be in full swing.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I guess I don't want to miss out on certain aspects, will the mountains be as pretty as in peak season ?this is kind of last minute. I'm wondering if I would be better off waiting until the better weather comes. My brother went in May a few years ago, he said the weather was perfect and everything was so beautiful.I've been wanting to go to CA for so long, and I don't want to regret the timing of everything.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:48 AM

mkathy,

The mountains and hills around San Jose at this time of year are very green and make for a picteresque backdrop for the city. The mountains in Yosemite are always very nice at any time of year, especially when there is snow in the winter and spring. I think that in general you should be fine traveling to California during early March. Monterey and Big Sur will also be beautiful at that time of year. For more information on what to see and do check out the following links. I would make reservations for Yosemite ASAP. If you can, get a room in Yosemite Valley, otherwise if you stay outside of the park, it will be a 40 mile drive each way into the valley.

www.yosemitepark.com

www.sanjose.org

www.monterey.com
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:48 AM

March is nice, but May and June are nicer California is an enormous state with varied weather throughout. IMO, Southern Cal would be nicer in March, and Northern Cal in May.

You may or may not experience snow in Yosemite Valley in March, but upper portions of most hiking trails will still probably have snow. If hiking is important to you, wait until late spring/early summer. Tioga Pass is closed until late spring, but there are other entry routes.

I've only been to Big Sur once, but it was in the middle of July and it was cloudy, windy and cold! I don't know if that place EVER warms up, but it was beautiful to look at.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:06 PM

May is definitely nicer weather than March. If you want to spend time in the high mountains, even May can be a bit early. Tioga pass (gateway to the Yosemite high country) usually doesn't open until late May (depends on snowpack), and some of the high country backpacking trails are better left for July and August.

If the mountains are a priority, I would try to visit in the May-September timeframe.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:23 PM

IMHO this is a beautiful time of year to be in California. With 10 days, you are going to have absolutely gorgeous weather for 8 of them and perhaps a so- so day. Big Sur, Monterey, SF will be gorgeous and if there is a little snow in the mountains in yosemite, its just better. It won't be so crowded. It won't be cold, just brisk at times. Don't let the weather stop you, it won't. My birthday early March and I can't remember a rainy day birthday yet. I live near Monterey. Yesterday was brilliantly sunshiney and today is a bit overcast. Nothing that would stop me from any activity. Where are you from? What weather are you used to? We Californians expect beautiful weather every day. We often get it. May has a possibility of a mod heat wave. March and April are lovely. Don't forget Carmel! It's charming.

Petal
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Good point petal - bad weather to a Californian and bad weather to someone from another part of the country are two entorely different things.

Over the weekend I was in San Diego and a little disappointed because it rained on us on Thursday. I actually had to wear my jacket if you can believe such a thing. That's how bad the weather was. Friday was great though - we cruised around by the beach with the top down on the convertible. Meanwhile the rest of the country is freezing to death under several feet of snow.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:25 PM
SAB

How good the weather is in Northern California in winter is relative--it does depend on how bad it is where you are. Today in SF it is sunny and clear and in low 60's (in the sun--cooler in the shade). Although It is hard to predict how it will be in March, so for we have not had a very rainy winter--that does not mean no rain, just that we haven't have one storm after another. Chances are that you can experience 4 to 5 fairly moderate days in a row but in a 10 day period there is a very good chance that there will be at least a couple of days of rain (and I mean solid rain not rain showers).
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Actually We're from Massachusetts and just moved to Florida in December, so a little cold and rain isn't going to kill us. We just want to be able to enjoy the sights. Do you think we'd have time to go to the San Diego Zoo while we're there? Or am I trying to fit way too much in?
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM
SAB

IMO in 10 days SF, Big Sur, Monterey, Yosemite and San Diego is too much. A good suggestion, made by others, is to "do" Northern CA in one trip and Southern CA in another so that you can do justice to both. I think this is a good suggestion for especially for North American residents--if you are from overseas you may not make another trip to the US let alone CA so the desire to fit more in is much stronger.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Variable is probably the best way to sum up the weather in March, especially in Northern California. Southern California will by far have the best weather. In SF, given the weather so far this winter, it will most likely rain for a good portion of March. As you go south, the better the weather in general. San Jose, Monterey, Big Sur, LA, and San Diego will have better weather in March, with LA and San Diego having the best climate. As others have mentioned, you should be prepared for some snow in Yosemite.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Splitting it up into No. and So. CA trips sounds like the way to go. What do you think would be the best central area to stay in? Which airport would be best to fly in to? We don't have any set plans yet, but I think we'll end up skipping SF this time and staying more towards Central coast and parts south. Thanks for all the info.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Come on down to SoCal....the weather is great ..if it rains...it's even better...you can stay at the Sheraton Univeral and be there and take tours to Hollywood. Rent a car and tour the Valley. You can stay at the Anaheim Sheraton and go to Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farms (on different tours) You definately need at car and a map in SoCal.....the weather is great. You can contact me at [email protected] and not tie up this line if you prefer.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:25 PM

If you plan on visiting areas from the Central Coast south, then I would recommend flying into San Jose and driving to Monterey from there. If you decide to also drive down toward LA you could consider flying out of LAX or Orange County. Along the Central Coast staying in either Monterey, Pacific Grove, or Carmel (if your budget permits) will put you close to the majir attractions in the area. Further down the coast on Highway 1 I would also plan for at least one night in Cambria if you plan to visit Hearst Castle.