Search

Big Sur

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Sur

What time of year has the least fog on the Big Sur drive? What is it like in late May,early June - climate wise and fog wise? Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Summer is the full fog season -- not every hour of every day in June/July/August, but usually anything from a wisp to a wall every day.

Spring and Fall the weather is divine, and so are the blooming wildflowers! 8-)
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Spring would be my choice for the drive - less fog and lots of wildflowers.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I was there last mid March and it was stunning. There was not a cloud in the bright blue sky. As the other posters said the flowers were glorious. It was also unseasonably warm. I could not believe how perfect the weather was since fog is always a concern. I have been in San Francisco in May when one day was foggy and misty and the next morning it was gorgeous so it must be impossible to ever predict. Good luck.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for info - I noticed that J_Correa mentioned traveling to Yosemite in May on another question - can you tell me what the park is like in late May? Are the roads open? We are thinking of splitting time between Big Sur and Yosemite with a couple days in San Francisco. But were wondering about road condition in Yosemite? Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:14 AM

I've gone to Yosemite the third week in May for the past 2 years and the weather has been great. I went with a group that has been taking an annual trip there for the last 10 years and they have settled on the 3rd week in May because it is a nice balance between low crowds and good weather. Any later in the year and the crowds increase dramatically, any earlier and you take your chances with the weather. They have gone in April as well, but the weather was a little iffy and sometimes they got rained on and once encountered snow.

When I have been there in May, the roads to the Valley were open and there wasn't a bit of snow anywhere around. The Valley is only at about 4000 ft anyway, so it doesn't get as much snow as the higher elevations anyway. Last year, the high country openned while we were there, which was early. Usually it doesn't open for a couple more weeks.

With the exception of early mornings and after sundown, we wore shorts most of the time. I generally wore a tank top with a light weight long sleeved shirt over top and a wide-brimmed hat to keep from getting sun burned. In the evennings, a sweatshirt and jeans were enough for sitting around the campfire.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM

I would be warry of early June - they call it the June Gloom around here. May is usually very nice, even then you still may hit some heavy fog depending on chance.

Late March to early May are your best bets for less fog in the spring, and late Sept to the end of Oct for Fall...
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Okay, I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time but have hesitated because I hate to look so dumb, lol. Exactly where is Big Sur? My husband and I were in Monterey several years ago and drove south...he was looking for Big Sur and I was biting my nails hoping to live through the drive.

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
it's just south of Monterey on the coast. Years ago I stayed at the then new, Ventana Inn....heaven!!!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Susan: "Big Sur" is "El Sur Grande" from its Spanish-Mexican days. It is approximately 90 miles along the California coast, south of Carmel and north of Hearst Castle. The residents of Big Sur have tried to maintain its wilderness character. It also has one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, coastlines in the world.

The road you drove on is probably the one in Big Sur. It was completed in 1937 and even today there are parts of Big Sur where there is no electricity.

You can learn more about Big Sur from websites such as

pelicannetwork.com

Hope this helps a bit!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Thanks, easytraveler, it does help! My husband will be happy to know that we were actually IN Big Sur rather than on our way