Search

Weather at the Oregon Coast?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:46 AM
HMC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather at the Oregon Coast?

My dh and I are leaving next Friday to visit some of his family, plus we will be going to the coast and camping a few night because my dh has always wanted to go deep sea fishing. So, what kind of clothes will we need for the camping trip? How cool will it get at night?

I was considering going with them on the boat. What are my chances of seeing some whales, dolphins, sealions, etc.? I'm not a fisherman so I'm not for sure that want to make the boat trip.

Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Average lows along the central and northern Oregon coast this time of year are around 45. But, if you're camping it's not so much the temps you should be concerned with as the probability of rain. The 10-day forecast holds promise, but be prepared! Pack the rain fly!

You'll have a much better chance of seeing sea lions if you stay on shore. The chances of seeing whales or dolphins, whether from the shore or a boat are probably slim to none. If you are at all prone to motion sickness, I think you'd enjoy staying in camp more than being on the boat.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:38 AM

you dont say what part of the coast you are going to be at.
Around Depoe Bay there are some resident whales who hang around all year-
if you are going to be fishing in that area- you might see whales
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Returned from the coast last Friday- and yes, the Gray whales are indeed migrating to the Arctic, saw three at the Overlook at Salmon River,just below Bandon (we were heading North to South). Weather was gorgeous, high in the 6o's, sunny, very little wind- lows in the high 40's. Rained one day, and it was cool, so take rain gear and warm sweaters. The layered look seems to work well.I posted two days ago, so you might be able to find it- think the title was something like Portland south to Mendocino. Sealions abound- they are everywhere, and if you are staying anywhere near Florence, or Newport, they are on the docks, sunning themselves.Go for the boat- just take your dramamine first!- the views from the H2O are spectacular. Have fun!!
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM

What views from the water? You just are out in the middle of the water, with the shore in the distance. The views from the land are much better. (It is different if you are cruising the islands, or something, but that is not what they do when they go deep sea fishing off the coast of Oregon.)

Unless you are lucky, it is likely to be really nasty of the Pacific, and even if you aren't prone to seasickness, you could easily experience it. If you decide to go, definitely take Meclazine, or whatever you can get your hands on, before you leave.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I had another thought on this. Why not ask the people who take out the charter if you are likely to see whales or dolphins? They can probably give you an idea of the likelihood.

My husband has taken the trip between the Columbia River and the Strait of Juan de Fuca 4 times and was surrounded by grey whales one trip. 2 out of 4 of the trips were rough. Of course, the one I joined him on was the roughest. I never plan to do it again, chance of whales or not!
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM

A few years ago I went salmon fishing
off the Oregon coast at Coos Bay. It was cold,wet and pretty bumpy seas,
5-7 foot swells. If you or anyone in your party is bothered by motion sickness, take precautions. I would also consider waterproof gloves with
some traction surface built into the palms and fingers-much easier to hold
your rod and reel. Dress to get wet-
in layers if you get lucky and have smooth seas you can remove layers as you like. Definetly include a cap-one of those snug knitted ones you can pull over your ears if it's cold. You could probably hang out in the cabin, though I find it more fun to be where the action is. I had a fine time BTW, I love boats and am never bothered by the motion.
R5

Old May 19th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I would say, and this is just from my own experience, if the seas are rough and you have any tendency for sea sickness...and it happens to the BEST of sailors...the last place you want to be is below deck. If you are up on deck you can look out at the land and that gives your brain something to focus on that isn't moving. Really helps. Just make sure you are dressed for it. If you're not bothered, then stay warm and cozy below.