WDW but not the parks.

Search

WDW but not the parks.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WDW but not the parks.

Hi, we'll be staying at Disney's Yacht club for business, but I really don't want to subject myself or my two sons to the nightmare of the theme parks, but am thinking it would still be a fun getaway. They're 14 and 17 and I'm planning on sending them off on their own while I'm working, so any suggestions for things to do in WDW using the Disney transportation OTHER than the major theme parks? They've BTDT and after our last trip 5 years ago, I vowed never again.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:23 AM

If they are so inclined I would think they would enjoy the pool at the Yacht and Beach.

Do you consider the Animal Kingdom to be just as horrifying?

Would they enjoy Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon.

I have to ask..are THEY in agreement with the "never agin" part or is this mostly about your own needs and concerns?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:25 AM

And No, Nina, I am not trying to be insulting but it might help if you clarified why you have taken on the stance when in this instance they'll be out on their own.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM

There are some good and very recent ideas posted here: http://tinyurl.com/2dp72n
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM

since they're going on their own, do THEY want to go to the theme park?
The boardwalk is nice to walk around, which is near your hotel - but not much for kids to do.
I havent been - but there is the Wide World of Sports complex
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM

What about the water parks or the golf courses? Downtown Disney has shops and restuarants (and is Disney Quest still there?) Also, WDW has a couple of miniature golf courses.

Are you sure they don't want to go to the parks?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:17 AM

HI--you did not say when you are going, but even by now (i.e. should be warm enough), I imagine that the pool is a good way to spend some time. Yacht/Beach Club is generally considered the best pool at WDW. They can take the bus to Downtown Disney where there is a 24 screen theater and the Disney Quest, a huge indoor iteractive games venue, that our son loved at those ages.... I am sorry that I do not understand BTDT, but I was also wondering if they consider it as much of a "nightmare" as you do....kind of an extreme characterization....were you robbed at gunpoint by Pluto?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I forgot about the waterparks, great idea.

As for the nightmare part, our last trip there WAS a nightmare. It was our 4th visit, and the parks were packed like sardines, endless lines and the boys were MISERABLE. We all were, this was after they made the brilliant decision to do away with early entry (have they reinstated it?) the kids said they didn't want to spend vacation in line, and I agree. My husand was ready to burst a boold vessel and we all vowed never again.

That was during spring break, in March, so this will be in m-d May. Is that a slower time? I just don't want to pay $60 (or whatever it is now) a head to spend all day on line, fighting crowds to ride 3 attractions. Yes it was THAT bad the last time we went. You couldn't pay me or my kids to do it again.

Downtown Disney and Disney Quest are other great ideas, thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Oye, blood vessel. I hate that we can't edit here.

Oh and BTDT means been there, done that.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:57 AM

Mid May should be relatively quiet.

Have they been to sea world? Although Disney transit doesn;t go there - they're certainly old enough to take some form of shuttle over there by themselves.

And what about a day trip by bus to the Cape - are they intrested in rocketry?
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM

PS--I forgot that Fantasia miniature golf is walking distance from Yacht Club and they have a regular mini-golf, w/all as well as a slightly more challenging par 3 mini-course (pitch and putt?, I'm not a golf person) in the same spot.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, my kids still love mini-golf, so that's another great idea...I think they'll find enough to do for 3 days, and if mid-May isn't too crowded, I'll have them do either MGM or Epcot one day.

BTW, does anyone know if they ever reinstated early entry? I remember we always did that on our first trips and we were able to see so much before the hoordes descended. I hated that they stopped it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:04 AM

Yes, they have early entry to certain parks on certain days. I dont know the specifics, but they do have it.
I always recommend the UnOfficial Guide to Disney, which we used on our trip. It got us ahead of most lines, and we went in the end of june.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM

Your "early hours" are now called "Extra Magic Hours" and they can happen either before the park opens to the public or after the park closes to the public. Days/hours vary by park and date. You can find info here:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...ursPage&bhcp=1

Also...highly recommend Epcot if your sons haven't been there for a while. Fast Track is a great ride...me (age mid-30's) and my dad (age mid-60s) loved it when we were there in January.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM

If they go to the parks, let Fast Pass and single rider lines be their friend! They can really make a trip to the parks much more enjoyable.

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/fastpass.htm
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM

I really think you should reconsider letting your sons go to Epcot and MGM. They can walk from the Yacht Club and if you get them hoppers, they coulf come and go. If they start early and use FastPass, they should be able to get quite a bit done. I think Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin', Rock-n-Roller, Tower of Terror would be great fun for them.

Between a couple of the theme parks, mini-golf and the GREAT pool at the Yacht Club, you should be able to keep them happy while you're working.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM

TEST TRACK is the ride I was referring to as FAST TRACK....and your sons would love it!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM

My son and his friends were 12 - 14 at the time, and we all enjoyed (parents too!) Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach. I think your sons would lke it there also.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM

I live in Florida and I'm glad I can subject myself to the nightmare of Disney World so often. We stay at either the Beach Club (with the kids) or Boardwalk (without kids). Nice to be in Epcot very early without the crowds.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM

I will be at a conference (Gaylord Palms, not Disney property) and received an email from the conference sponsor regarding "Meeting/Convention" ticket discounts. I checked Disney's website and they are cheaper -- and you can also get "after 2 pm or ater 4 pm" tickets even cheaper that allow you to go after your classes/work. Are you there for a conference or convention - if so ask the hotel for this discount info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -