water taxi info in NYC

Mar 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

water taxi info in NYC

We'll be in New York in about 3 weeks, and one day, depending on the weather, of course, I thought this would be fun:
take subway to So. St. Seaport to wander around, then water taxi over to Brooklyn for Grimaldi's pizza, and walking back over either the Brooklyn Bridge or the Manhattan Bridge. At www.nywatertaxi.com there is no info about times or prices, website says to check back soon; I guess it's closed for the winter and not yet open, or does this service not run anymore?

Is the Manhattan Bridge within walking distance from Grimaldi's, or is this an illlusion from the map?

thanks for any info.
Mar 30th, 2005, 02:23 PM

The water taxi has a drop off in Brooklyn just a couple of blocks from Grimaldi's -- very convenient, a two minute walk.

Take the water taxi from just south of the South Street Seaport area to Brooklyn, have lunch at Grimaldi's, then walk back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge, which features a great pedestrian walkway.

www.nywatertaxi.com
Mar 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM

wow Gekko, did you even read the question? You told him/her to do what they said they wanted to do in the first place and gave the same website address that they had already posted.

msmiller, I think the water taxi does stop running in the winter months. Hopefully someone can give you some more info though.

Have a good trip.
Mar 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Grimaldi's to the Manhattan Bridge walkway is about a 10 or 15-minute walk, not as close as it may look on a map. The entrance to the walkway is on Jay Street. You have to cross some heavy traffic streets and under low overpasses to get there. I do it all the time but I don't think I'd recommend it for someone not familiar to this area, b/c you could get lost and wind up in the projects (as my friends who visit always seem to do!)

I prefer going over the MB because the view is better than the BB, it's MUCH less crowded, and it ends up on Canal St in Chinatown! If you really want to do this walk, I can give you more detailed directions. Let me know.
Mar 30th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Everyone's left out the most important part. Also get some ice cream (the Strawberry is THE BEST) right at the point where the water taxi stops on the Brooklyn side (Fulton Landing). Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

By the way, for a bit more you can get a "hopper pass" on the water taxi. We started at the docks at the end of 45th Street (?), and got off at South Street Seaport. You could also take the taxi back around later after walking the Brooklyn Bridge, which to answer your question is an easy walk from Grimaldi's.
Mar 30th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for responding to my questions.

I'm curious to get info about the water taxi bec/ we've never done that before, and I think it sounds like a fun way to get from Manhattan to Brooklyn; the problem is that the website is not operational at this time, so I don't know how to get info about price, schedule, etc. Maybe in April it will start up again.

We're also interested in walking the Manhattan Bridge for all the reasons Suzanne mentions (Suzanne, please send detailed directions if you can!), and bec/ we've previously done the Brooklyn Bridge, although we started from Manhattan, went 1/2-way, and turned around.

Ice cream at the Ice Cream Factory sounds greaet! I thought there was a not-to-be-missed dessert place around there, but couldn't remember what (is there a chocolate shop there, too?)
Mar 30th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Ice Cream never did it for me,not all that special imho, but Jaques Torres Chocolate......yumm, and the hot chocolate - wicked! Hope the water taxi is up and running for you since it, Grimaldi's sausage pizza, JT Chocolate, watching asian weddings on the waterfront and walking the Brooklyn Bridge is one of my favorite adventures to share in NYC! Fun!
Mar 31st, 2005, 09:35 AM

We did this back in November and the cost was $5.00 per person on the Water Taxi. It was a short trip, but a very unique experience. Grimaldis is definitely worth the trip, but you there's a good possibility there will be a wait. We didn't walk the bridge so I'm not exactly sure how to get there from the ferry dock. Have fun.
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:28 AM

msmiller- Here are directions to the MB walkway -plus a few points of interest:

Water St. is the street you have to cross to get from the ferry landing to Grimaldi's. Take this street, going under the Brooklyn Bridge, about 3 blocks to Main Street. Along the way you will find Jacques Torres chocolates on your right - they have the most interesting flavors you've ever seen, and you can buy them by the piece. On your left between the Civil-war era warehouses there is the entrance to Brooklyn Bridge Park - fantastic views!

Anyway...when you get to Main Street (wave "hi" to me in the Clocktower building) take a right, then an immediate left onto Front Street. Right above West Elm furniture store is Gleason's Boxing Gym, most recently made famous by Hilary Swank, who trained there for her role in "Million Dollar Baby." Walk four blocks to Jay Street, going under the Manhattan Bridge. Here, if you chose, you could go 2 blocks to the left and visit the huge ABC Carpet & home outlet. Otherwise, go right, walking up the hill. You are going to go under a highway overpass, and cross a wide street, then you'll find yourself under a low part of the bridge (kinda seedy area right here for 1/4 block). Stay to the RIGHT - and once you're back in the sunlight you will see stairs going up to the bridge walkway.

Have fun!
Mar 31st, 2005, 11:02 AM

Also be aware that Grimaldi's is cash only.

Enjoy!

Mar 31st, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

OOH! Now I remember that it was the Jacques Torres "dessert" place I was thinking of, having seen it on TV a couple of times. So looks like we'll send the nephew off for ice cream (who for some incomprehensible reason doesn't like chocolate) and the rest of us can go there.

Thanks, Suzanne, for the details on getting to the MB, I think that sounds like fun. A side trip to the ABC store might be fun, too.

(And surely by the time we get across the bridge to Chinatown it'll be time to eat again, won't it?!)
Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:42 AM

Is the water taxi wheelchair accessible?
Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:50 AM

Check their website nywatertaxi.com
Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure it's just me, but I'm not finding the watertaxi website particularly helpful, but maybe it'll have more info when they reopen.

So, bo448, if you don't need an answer about wheelchair accessibility before we get back (the last week of April), I'll be happy to give you a report then.

Has anyone done the "hop-on-hop-off" thing? I'm wondering if it's really worth doing, or if we should just stick to the original plan of So. St. Seaport to Fulton Landing.