Search

Washington U/St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
mei
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington U/St. Louis

I'm taking my daughter on a visit to Wash U this fall. Just wondering if there are any restaurants near campus that the students frequent. I'd like her to get a little extra "flavor" for the area by taking her a popular student hang-out. Thanks
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM

Go to the U-City Loop (if you are not from the STL area -- it's a neighborhood/shopping/food district near the school) -- art movies house, all sorts of places to eat, coffee houses, vintage clothing stores, used records stores, bars, clubs, street musicians. Lots of people from their teens to their 50s hanging around seeing stuff. There is a great place called the Craft Allliance that is a gallery/holds art classes/has artist studios. If nothing else -- it'll give you a good idea where she is hanging out once she's in school!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
mei
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:54 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
mei, tmontauk is right, "The Loop" is THE place where Wash U students hang out. Not sure why it's called The Loop because it basically refers to about 10 blocks of a single street, Delmar Blvd. There are shops and restaurants all alone that portion of Delmar. When I showed my nephew around Wash U this time last year, I had the same goal in mind. But the students are out now so all you can do is show her the area for future reference.

There are a couple of mainstays in The Loop: Blueberry Hill, where Chuck Berry used to perform (and on occasion still does), Fitz's, and Cicero's. I'll post some reviews of the first 2 below.

Blueberry Hill:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Missouri.html

http://www.saucemagazine.com/drill.p...blueberry+hill

Fitz's:
http://www.saucemagazine.com/drill.p....php&Text=fitz

To check out other restaurants on that street, see this list:

http://www.saucemagazine.com/splserch.php

Have fun. My nephew loves Wash U.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM
MaureenB

As everyone said, the Loop is the area students frequent most, as it's closest and it's geared to students.

You could also go to the Central West End, which is still not far from campus, but is higher-end dining and shops.

Drive through Forest Park, across from Wash. U., to see pretty Lindell boulevard with gorgeous homes and the park itself.

Go to Clayton, in the other direction, to see another nice neighborhood with upscale shopping and dining. It's not far from Wash U., and students can get there rather easily, too.

Another area, I think it's called Demund (sp?) is on the other side of Wash U., and has very cute coffee shops and a great restaurant, Jimmy's. (Another poster had her daughter's Wash U. graduation dinner there and loved it.)

Wash U is in a great location for students. The bus system in St. Louis is fairly good, and the school sits near a lot of places.

Also, drive the neighborhood near the school, to get a feel for the type of rentals that would be available for future reference. There are lots of good, safe possibilities.

We also considered Wash U., have relatives who went there. It is an outstanding and beautiful school.

Have fun.
>-

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:51 AM

It's called the Loop I think because many years ago the old Creve Couer street car turned around there. Has been the business center of University City (where I lived as a youngster).

Maureen B has added ideas to what St. L. native dcd has said, but don't forget The Hill, an area with wonderful Italian fare.

ozarksbill in Spfld, MO
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I don't know where you will be visiting from -- but don't bore your daughter by going to the Hill. I live 2 blocks from that neighborhood and while it's a nice to places to live there is nothing to look at if you visit. Some restaurants (I personally don't care for STL Italian food -- but that's me), some grocery stores selling overpriced foods from Italy, lots of teeny shotgun houses. I doubt an 18 year old would be excited. Same for Clayton -- great if you are in your 40s -- but I think for a teen -- little boutiques selling fussy things will not be exciting.