Search

move to Ann Arbor

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
move to Ann Arbor

I'm considering a move to Ann Arbor, MI. I'll be traveling there next weekend to check it out. Any suggestions on neighborhoods, local hang outs, a way to get a feel for the city?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Ann Arbor is TERRIBLE!! I hate that town!! Just kidding, I'm a Spartan (MIchigan State) fan and Ann Arbor is where our dreaded rival the Wolverines are at.

Actually A2 is a cool area. What are you looking for in a hang out? It's a very diverse area, being a college town. State St has lots of bars, coffee shops, etc. The best way to get a feel for the city is to park downtown by the u of m quad (good luck finding a spot)and walk around. It's fairly pedestrian friendly. As far as neighborhoods, I guess my best advice would be to start from downtown and circle the area going away from the center. THere are some beautiful homes there. As a side note, I think that they are away next weekend, but if the Wolverines are playing at home your view of the area will be totally skewed, football Saturdays are crazy!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 09:52 AM

I live in Ann Arbor - welcome!
It's an ideal place. Small enough to have its college town charms but big and sophisticated enough to have plenty of international restaurants, good shopping and the usual excess of coffee houses.
Just about any neighborhood in Ann Arbor is a good one. There are great looking older houses and those lookalike new subdivision ones, depending on what you like.
It's relatively pricey because the population is high-income and highly educated. And it's on the western edge of the Detroit metro area, so there's easy access to the pro sporting events, shopping malls and other extras of a metro area of 5 million people.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:27 AM

I am a UM grad (B.S.) and am currently in a Ph.D. program there--I'll try to be more specific about places to go/things to do. I'm a 31 year old woman, so keep that in mind!

Food: Breakfast at Angelo's, Afternoon Delight, or The Broken Egg. Angelo's is by the medical campus, Afternoon Delight is in "town" by the post office, and The Broken Egg is on Main Street. Angelos's is famous for their raisen bread, Afternoon Delight for "healthier" fare, and the Broken Egg is a not-super-greasy greasy spoon.

For lunch: If the weather is decent, Good Time Charlie's (corner of South University and Church) has a nice patio, good drinks, and decent food. I go there for the cheese sticks--bread stuffed with cheese--yum. Pizza Bob's on State St. by the athletic campus is known for their Chipati's. A chipati is a giant soft pita stuffed with salad and served with a special dressing. I also enjoy Zola's (on Washington, I think) for soup and "European style" sandwiches and salads.

Dinner: My favorite is the Prickley Pear on Main Street. It's small, so get there early or prepare to wait. They do "Southwest" cuisine. The Red Hawk, which is a bar and grill on State St. is also good. Getting an icecream cone from Stucci's (sp?)(pronounced Stu-chees)and walking around is a nice way to get some exercise (ha) after a big meal. I also like a coffee shop called Sweetwaters.

As for nightlife, I worked at a bar, the Full Moon on Main St. for most of my college years, so I couldn't really tell you where to go. The Moon has pool tables and tons of beer. It is more post-college than undergrad students.

The football game is away next weekend, so it would be a good time to visit.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:43 AM

If you like deli's Zingerman's is really good, but pricey. The sandwiches are big enough to share. It's written up in magazines and on the Food Channel frequently. I can't give you directions because we got lost everytime. It's in the Kerrytown area by the farmers market. There is also a smallish but nice mall called Briarwood on the edge of town and lots of small speciality shops in downtown near UM.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Hail to the victors valiant!!
John
UM Class of '56.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:24 PM

U of M is away next week, so A2 should be very tourable. Check out the Kerrytown area just east of Main Street - there is a Farmers Market on Saturday, lots of neat shops and my favorite deli in the world - Zingerman's (yes it is expensive, but worth it!). I second Prickly Pear for great food. Ann Arbor is beautiful in September - have fun.

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:41 AM

If you fancy something a little more global, Blue Nile is a great Ehtiopian restaurant and a unique all-around dining experience. Just walk down Main or Washington, you'll run into Indian, Greek and Middle Eastern restaurants. If you like seafood, the Real Seafood Company is a good one, despite the bland name.
Seva is a good vegetarian restaurant, even nonvegetarians like me like it.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:17 AM

Spent a lovely three-day weekend in Ann Arbor three years ago to attend my nephew's graduation from UM. Was very impressed with the town. Had a sumptuous brunch, the best ever, at the Gandy Dancer on Sunday morning, Check it out.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 06:23 PM

A second for the Broken Egg and a third for the Prickley Pear. I'll also throw Palio's out there (corner of William and Main) great food and if it's a nice night, dine of the roof. Another great bar is Babs, it's a small martini bar.

Have fun, you'll love A2!