Washington DC visit. Which month best?

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC visit. Which month best?

I have decided to visit the USA within the next year or so, either in the months of March/April/May or Sept/Oct.
Can someone please advise which of those months will have the most tourist friendly weather. ie, least likelyhood of rain.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:45 AM

Judging by this year, the spring was wet.

We have visited D.C. twice in October and the weather was great. Then we drove west into the Shenandoah valley, very pretty state.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:12 AM

Almost any of those months would be fine, weather-wise, in a normal year, though March might be a bit chilly and not very greened-up yet. Average rainy days are 10 in April and 8 in September.

But the real reason to go in the fall is that in springtime many attractions are swarming with school groups. Many, many places up and down the East Coast have DC as an end-of-year field trip, often lasting up to a week (for the graduating 8th-graders in my town). There are fewer school groups at the start of the school year, since they just haven't had time to get organized yet.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:08 AM

If next May is anything like this year's, then you won't like it. Normally, it is the prettiest time of year here in northern VA.

At the beginning of April, you can come for the Cherry Blossom Festival. It is busy then, but also very pretty.

October would be an excellent time, especially if you follow maryann's suggestion and do some leaf viewing.

At the end of March, we can get some good weather. Last year on March 30 it was around 72F and sunny; this year 50s or 60s and rainy. The reason I'm mentioning March is because you can probably get a cheap airfare, one of those "complete travel by March 31" fares, (like 200 quid from LHR).
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:52 AM

Let me cast a vote for Sept./Oct. Although you'll miss the cherry blossoms, azaleas, dogwoods, etc. that are so glorious in the spring (although bear in mind, they bloom at considerably different times -- cherries are usually very early and nothing else is out, then they're gone when other stuff comes out), you'll also miss the crowds who come for spring break, festivals, etc.

The trees may or may not have turned, and there may still be some nice flowering shrubs, but mainly, you'll have easier access to whatever you want to see and -- I THINK -- it seems to me to rain less, be cooler and sunnier.

For what it's worth . . . .
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:52 PM

You really shouldn't miss the cherry blossoms. It looks like pink snow.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:38 PM

Early October gets my vote. The heat & humidity and most of the tourists are gone.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:51 PM

Mid to late September is the best. May is usually great but this May was a total washout!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:10 PM
E

I agree that the cherry blossoms are glorious, but they are notoriously difficult to plan for. They can bloom early and fall long before the official Festival begins, or be delayed...just a word of warning. In general, weather in Sep/Oct will be more predictable than changeable springtime.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. Autumn sounds like the 'dryest' time to visit. Thats one decision made.