Search

Washington DC Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC Trip

4 of us decided to make a return trip to finish what we didn't get to last year. We are coming August 28 through September 2. We booked Amtrak tickets today ($56 a piece each way from Hartford - not a bad deal)

We realize it may be hot and a busy time but the dates worked. Thats what cold beer and A/C is for.

Last Years trip report.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-sox-games.cfm

Hopefully nobody gets injured this time and we can go at a normal pace (friend had a broken leg last year)

We got 2 rooms at the Washington Court Hotel for around $120 each. How is this hotel? Looks like a great location and right near the Metro. We stayed at the Days Inn CT Ave last year and while a nice hotel, it was a too far out of the way.

Our tentative plan so far is
Sat
Nationals game

Sun
Arlington Cemetery - definite
Other Monuments (definitely want to go back to WW2 Memorial as my grandmother is on it and she just passed away last month). We also missed the FDR memorial.

Washington Monument

Monday
National Archives
Ford Theater
Newseum

Tuesday
Maybe go back to the Zoo in the morning so my friend can see it.

Wednesday
Via a Rental Car, drive to Baltimore and go to the Red Sox at Orioles game. This is a maybe. May look at Amtrak both ways with 1 night in Baltimore

Thursday
Train back to CT. Leaves at 3:30 so have time for sight-seeing in the morning.

We are trying to leave this wide-open rather than a set itinerary like we had last time. Just wondering what other suggestions people would have.
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Washington Court is a very nice hotel. We stayed there about 5 years ago for business. The price you got is great. It is handy to Union Station, but the area is pretty quiet on weekends/holidays. More lively when Congress is in session.

If you have never been to Mt. Vernon, you may want to consider a trip. We enjoyed it very much and found it well worth the trek. You can do a morning bus trip and be back in time for afternoon activities.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Mt Vernon is definitely on our list. How possible is it with public transportation?
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:58 PM

I know you can use public transport. A combo of metro and bus. Do a search here: I know it has been addressed before. Hopefully others more knowledgable will chime in. Or their website may have directions.

There are also the Greyline type tours. They leave about 8 or 9 am from Union Station(handy to your hotel) and drive thru Alexandria on the way to Mt. Vernon. You would be back by 12:30 or so. We did this. It was fine, but felt our time at MV was way too short and would have liked more time to explore the grounds and giftshops

Mt. Vernon was beautiful and interesting. The setting is spectacular. Well worth the effort to visit.
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Here is the link to Mt. Vernon website with transport info. Boat transport is also available.

http://www.mountvernon.org/visit/pla...x.cfm/pid/824/
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Seems to me like you should catch a New Britain Rock Cats game when you get home!
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Seafox, I go to them all of the time. First road trip we did was Pittsburgh, Cincy, Detroit and Toronto. Got home and went to the NB game that night.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Michelle, thanks for the link. Thought there was a boat tour which I will look into.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:17 AM

I recommend getting tickets in advance for the Washington Monument and Ford's Theatre. Tickets are required for both and, while they do have some available on a same day basis, if you get them in advance, you don't have to worry about getting to the site early in the morning and waiting for tickets (and possibly being disappointed.) The tickets are free, but there are small service charges. See the respective websites for details.
You may also want to see about getting a reserved time to enter the National Archives. (There was not a charge for this 2 years ago when we did it.) This reservation allows you to bypass the general admission line which can be quite long during the tourist season. You may still have to wait in line after you get inside to see the Declaration of Independence, etc, but we saved a lot of outside waiting time in line by getting a reservation.
Finally, the tickets for the Newseum are valid for 2 consecutive days. I found so much to see and do when I went there last October that I went back the next day. It's a great museum and one of the few "pay" museums in D.C. that I actually recommend.
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Also, you might want to get your Washington Monument tickets for the morning or evening. We often get short thunderstorms in the afternoons in August which close down the Washington Monument for a couple of hours. (They have to wait until the thunderstorm is a significant distance away before they can re-open.) This actually happened to us in August 2008 and we couldn't wait for the monument to re-open because we had tickets for a Segway tour, which is a ton-o-fun!
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Will definitely be getting timed passes. Would have gone for first thing in the morning regardless as I try to avoid lines as much as possible.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We went to Arlington and Mt. Vernon on the same day. Click on link below for all the details (and pics). Have fun. My report has lots of other stuff including some restaurants we really liked. The Newseum was fantastic!

http://web.me.com/tomfielding1/Tom_%...DC_Part_2.html

Old May 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM

We took a boat to Mt. Vernon and thought it was a great way to get there. We had plenty of time to explore (would have had more if we didn't have to wait in line to tour the house). Suggest you buy your tickets online before you leave for your trip.

http://www.premieryachts.com/Washing...Mt_Vernon/home
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM

There is a special MARC train from Union Station in DC right to Camden Yards in Baltimore, no need to rent a car for the Orioles game or pay for an AMTRAK train. (This is a regular route but they hold the trains there till post game). Very convenient.

If you wanted to spend the night in Baltimore, you could still do this same run. MARC runs M-F from Union Station to the Inner Harbor Baltimore on the Camden Line.
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM

bookmarking
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Please be careful with the MARC trains. They don't run all the time.

They usually run during commuter hours - 6-8am, 4-6pm. Weekends there are fewer trains running.

http://mta.maryland.gov/services/mar...mden_Jan10.pdf

I'd suggest making certain that you can catch a MARC train, otherwise, you will have to go up to Penn Station Baltimore and take Amtrak to DC. Staying in Baltimore might be a safer choice. There are any number of good hotels within walking distance of Camden Yards.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

ET, http://mta.maryland.gov/sports/orioles/

This the train that the previous poster mentions. Runs until 1 hour after the game. Seems like a good alternative to Amtrak.
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:43 AM

tchoiniere: I like the MARC trains, please don't get me wrong.

It's just that, on two separate trips last year to the East Coast, the MARC trains were not on schedule or didn't run at all. Just my luck, but I had to stop off in Baltimore to go to Obryski's for their crab (you know how that is).

If, for whatever reason, the return MARC train doesn't run or you're late for that train, it seems like such a chance to take. You did mention that staying in Baltimore one night is another choice, which, IMHO, would be the wiser decision. There are several MARC trains running in the morning instead of just one.

Whatever you decide, this sounds like an exciting trip! Have fun!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

How is the Washington Plaza hotel? Seems my friend quoted the wrong hotel to me...

Seems ok but a little further from a Metro stop.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know this hotel but I stay frequently in this part of town and like it a lot. McPherson Square metro is a very easy walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -