Washington DC to Philadelphia

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington DC to Philadelphia

We are visiting Washington DC for 4 days and Philadelphia for the next 3 days in June 2013. We then are hiring a car to complete the remaining 7 days of our holiday. We plan to visit Gettysburg and make our way to Richmond before returning for our return flight to the UK. We do not want a car for the first week but have to travel from Washington to Philadelphia. I have looked at the trains but we will have 2 cases larger than allowed in the carriage. Is it possible to check in luggage at the station in Washington for this trip? Also, can anyone suggest a hotel in the Richmond area. We are looking for a resort style hotel.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Union Station DC bag check:

http://www.tiburonlockers.com/storag...-bag-check.php

I am not sure it really matters that your bags are bigger than the allowance as long as you can carry it on. That is what I've heard on travel forums anyway. No personal experience.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM

The bag check is to store luggage only.

On Amtrak you haul your luggage around with you - onto the train - no matter how big or heavy. (I don't suppose they would take a coffin.)

In DC they have Red Caps (porters) who will haul the luggage for yuo down to the platform (usually via elevator - other passengers have to use escalator). They will put large bags at the end of the car. Carry-ons can go on overhead rack. They don;t have a fee - so you need to give a very generous tip - esp if your luggage is that big.

I give $5 for one moderate size bag. If yours are huge and heavy give $20.

Don;t know if philly has Red Caps - most stations don't. Then ask the conductor where the elevator is and if they can unlock it for you. But I think you will need to drag all your own stuff.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM

I was looking at the amtrak website and it said this about baggage
----------------
Each passenger can have a total of 2 carry-on bags, each not to exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg), 28 x 22 x 14 inches (700 x 550 x 350 millimeters).
----------------
It seems to me that is the size you would normally have for checked bags on an international flight. Are you really carrying more baggage than that?
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM

> Don;t know if philly has Red Caps

According to

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten..._Page&code=PHL

30th Street Station in Philly has baggage assistance.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 03:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The nicer hotels in Richmond are city hotels not resorts. The only resort-type hotels I can think of are 30-45 minutes away towards Williamsburg or Charlottesville. Maybe someone else can think of a resort that I have forgotten. What do you want to do in Richmond?