Amtrak between NY & DC

Search

Amtrak between NY & DC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak between NY & DC

Hi, I was advised to go with Amtrak between New York City and DC.

Was preparing to book my tickets and noticed a No Checked Bags rule. Apparently I can carry on 2 bags per person no larger than Two-Piece Limit: Each passenger may bring aboard no more than two pieces of carry-on baggage (plus personal items such a purse or laptop).

Question 1: Where do the carry ons go?

Question 2: One of my larger suitcases is clearly too long at 31". Another is 28 if you don't count the handle on the end--then it's almost 29. How tight are they on these rules?

Thanks!

From site: 50-Pound Limit: Each carry-on bag may weigh no more than 50 lbs.
Size Limit: Each carry-on bag may not exceed 28" x 22" x 14" in size. On Pacific Surfliner trains, carry-on baggage is limited to 28" x 22" x 11".
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NOBODY is going to weigh OR measure any bags on an Amtrak train between NYC and DC, believe me.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:21 PM

There is storage in most trains for larger suitcases at one end of the car. Other carryon goes in the racks above your seat, which hold a lot. On Acela, there may be a little less room because the overhead storage is more like an airplane.

I've never had my luggage questioned or seen anyone questioned.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:21 PM

I agree--nobody will pay attention to your luggage. There is space over your seats to store luggage, though very large bags might not fit. There is a luggage area for larger bags at each end of the carriage as you board.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM

I took a standard size suitcase on Amtrack, NYC to DC, and don't remember anyone weighing my luggage (I carried it on the train). This was 3 years ago, granted, so if they're weighing luggage, it's a new policy.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

That's what I needed to know! Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Forgot to ask, is there a rack to stow it? Kind of big to put over your head in a bin.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM

5alive, depends on the train - newer ones and older ones have different configurations. In some cars, there's a larger open space at the end of the car - I believe this is a dual-use space also for people in wheelchairs, but I've only seen it used that way once. In others, it's a two-tiered rack enclosed on three sides and open on the end facing the corridor, easy enough to slide a larger bag into. You also can fit a bag that's tall but not overly wide into the overhead rack on its side, since the rack is not particularly compartmentalized: a vertical divider about every eight feet, and a low wall on the corridor side. You'd just need some help getting it up and down - but even when traveling alone, there's always someone willing to assist!

Are you taking the Acela or the Regional?
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ggreen. I think I need to take the regional. Cost was too much for the five of us and the kids have to go on full price on the Acela.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:33 PM

There are storage racks at the end of each car. But if you can get your luggage down in size you will be happier. You are basically on your own with luggage, and there are both big crowds and stairs, partIcularly at Penn Station. And storage in NYC hotel rooms is also limited. I just wouldn't carry more than a 24 inch suitcase.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

You're right, of course,Doug, and on a 4-day trip to the Mouse, that's definitely our strategy or even a 19-inch suitcase. This trip is two weeks. Most likely, being a use-what-we-have family, some of us will have bigger suitcases than others anyway.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 04:45 PM

There is no weighing or measuring. But you have to be able to deal with the luggage. those larger bags will NOT fit on the overhead bin (if you tried to put them there they would probably fall on someone and concuss them). So you need to be able to carry them up and downstairs (or pay a RedCap to take them up and down for you on a trolley. And deal with them on the train. An airline size carry-on will fit easily in the overhead. And you can keep a purse or computer bag next to you. But the size bags you are talking about need to sit at the end of the car and I would watch them during stops.'

Separately, are you moving house? 31" - that's an entire wardrobe.

Also,, be aware that certain trains run full or more than full - generally anything Fri night/Sat am and Sun night/Mon am. I have seem people sitting on their bag at the end of the car for the whole trip.

And how many of you are there? Are you sure train is your best bet. With several people and a ton of luggage might just rent a car instead. Much cheaper and easier than ahuling all of that stuff even through Penn Station.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

We are going for 2.5 weeks all told. Sometimes we have two kids share one large bag as we pay a fee per bag on the airlines. Also it does seem you can get more in one large bag than two small ones. As to what we're bringing: I was hoping to only do laundry 1-2x not daily. My husband and son are runners so they have extra shoes; and teenage boys generally seem to sweat a lot.

As to cost: There are 5 of us and the cost is $196 for us all on the Regional. I was advised to make this choice on a separate thread. Our car rental in DC was jumping from $300 to $1000 if we brought it from New York and had it more than 7 days.

We are actually arriving in NYC by rental car but people advised me to drop it the day I got there because parking is so expensive. If you know somewhere cheaper to park it (we are at the affinia dumont) then maybe I should relook at that. But I don't have any other ideas.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

PS we are going mid-week, late afternoon if we take the train
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM

nyt, I guess you haven't been on the trains I have - you'd be amazed at what people can stuff in those overhead racks! (It's not a bin but a rack on the Regional; flat and as wide as the two seats over which it spans on each side of the car, so not much risk of it falling on someone except when getting it up to and down from the rack.)

5alive, I'm going to go read your other thread(s) right now so I understand your itinerary.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The regional trains DO NOT have bins, they have large overhead racks in addition to the storage areas at the end of the car.

If you are leaving from New York Penn do yourself a favor and tip one of the Redcap porters to transport your luggage down the escalator. The big advantage is you'll be able to board before any of the other passengers and will have more time to find places to store the luggage.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How many days is your trip? Are you coming back to NYC or going somewhere else from DC?
I don't have much experience with the NE Regional (once starting a 30 day rail trip DC to NYP). The problem with too much luggage is that your train may have started in Boston and the luggage racks may be near capacity. Try a clean & jerk with your bag and put it on the top shelf of a closet at home. Cut the weight until you feel comfortable doing that.
Before anyone says anything about Amtrak trains being late, I got off one this morning 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
I started my first Amtrak trip with a backpack that weighed in at 42 lb. If it did not fit overhead, I put it in the baggage at the end of the car.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM

Okay, now I've skimmed enough of your other thread to see that you'll be arriving on a Thursday, driving in from Ithaca and dropping off the rental car before spending 5 days in NYC in a hotel in midtown on the east side. IMO, you've got very good ticket prices for Amtrak - is it really $194 total for all five of you?? - and should leave it at that!

- Your hotel is on 34th and Lex. One of the escalator entrances to Penn Station is on 34th and 7th: you could even take a city bus right across. (The driver will lower the bus to make it easier to board with the luggage, just like they'd do for an elderly or handicapped person. ) Crosstown traffic is the slowest, so it would be only marginally faster in a taxi... or two, since there's five of you. At any rate, you'll be able to suss this out as you go about your days ahead of leaving for DC.
- Dukey's right, it's worth it in your case to spend $ for the Red Cap. And Tom's right that there's a chance the bins (and seats!) will be full: at any rate, I'd highly advise going in the middle of the day and not at rush hour. (I assume with your tix prices you already are.)

Penn Station itself can be a little confusing if you haven't been through there before. Some logistical tips:
- There are two levels of train access, both below street level.
- Three train lines come through here: it's the terminus for both Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and NJ Transit commuter rail lines, plus Amtrak.
- If you enter at the aforementioned entrance on the southwest corner of 34th and 7th, you will be on the LIRR level, one level below the Amtrak/NJT level. Follow signs for Amtrak; the best way is beyond and to the right of the LIRR "big board"/ticket counters, where there is a narrow escalator up. (Note that the LIRR concourse is good for grabbing sandwiches, pizza, and other snacks, though there are also shops on the upper concourse.)
- Alternately, enter below the large Madison Square Garden marquee on 7th Ave at 32nd Street. The escalator here will put you at the far end of the upper concourse; walk along it past the NJT area on the left and curve around to the Amtrak big board, ticket counters and waiting areas.
- Almost no one sits in the waiting area, instead opting to hover near the big board, because they never announce the track in advance, and everyone wants to be poised to rush to queue up and get a seat. My resulting anxiety makes my blood pressure go through the roof every time! This is one of the reasons a Red Cap will be very helpful.
- If you board with the hoards, don't forget to have your ticket accessible so that you can flash it at the Amtrak employee who will let you through the gate and down the escalator to the platform.

In your other thread, you say this will be at the end of June. Is the Tuesday you leave for DC still in June? (Please tell me it's not the day before Independence Day!)
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I take roundtrip Amtrak to NYC from DC rather frequently. I have rarely seen the luggage racks and areas completely full. That said, I agree that getting a redcap will be well worth it in your case. Late afternoon trains do tend to be a bit more crowded as u get the business folks returning, but finding seating is again rarely a problem even when the train starts in Boston. If $196 for all 5 of you is indeed your fare grab it! The lowest I have ever gotten is $49. Low priced seats are limited.
have a great trip!
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM

I've taken that train several times as I live in DC and it does seem most people just have small carryons that fit on the overhead rack, I know I do. A lot of people taking that train are just doing it for a day or weekend or something.

If you really want to save money, you might take the bus instead, I've taken to doing that on my last few trips. The buses only take about 30-45 minutes more than the regular Amtrak and only cost about $25. And, you can put whatever size bag you want in the luggage hold under the bus. I've taken Bolt, DC2NY and Washington Deluxe, they were all fine. They all go to Union Station in DC from NY. I might not take the bus on a day you thought traffic could be really bad (return date for a holiday), but I haven't done that. In fact, I just took Washington Deluxe back from a day in NY last Sunday, it left NYC at 7 pm and got into DC Union Station around 11 pm. Most of those buses have a site within a block of Penn Station for the return (both Bolt and Washington Deluxe leave from the corner of 8th ave and 34th St).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -