Washington DC - Les Halles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions to our itinerary so far! My next question is about Les Halles restaurant - what is your opinion? I was thinking about going there on our first day (on a Wednesday) after our plane lands and our check-in @ 3pm. I had heard so much about their steak frites. Not sure what the service is like. We'll be in the midst of sightseeing, so we won't really be dressed up - is that okay? After late lunch/early dinner there, we were going to walk over to National Archives to see the documents and then catch the Metro to Union Station to do the "Monuments by Moonlight" trolley tour. I figured we might hit Pizzeria Paradiso back in Dupont after the tour ends at 9pm. Other restaurants we plan to visit during our stay are Pan Asian Noodles & Grill in Dupont, 1789, 701, Firefly, and brunch at Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe. Breakfasts will probably be at Teaism, Cosi, Corner Bakery, and the like. Will try to hit Eastern Market on Saturday morning, too. We'll be visiting in Mid-November and staying at Hotel Madera in Dupont Circle.
I guess I'm rambling now. Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback on Les Halles - Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:29 PM

Yes, Les Halles does do great steak frites. I've been there a few times and that's what I've almost always ordered. Clearly it's what they do best. As to service, I don't remember much about it one way or the other, so it must have been efficient if not memorable. They have a nice outdoor seating area, but guess that won't be relevant for you in November. If you plan to go on your first day, you might want to make sure that they actually do serve between 2 and 6 (for the late lunch, early dinner you mentioned) -- as this isn't always the case.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM

Forgot to mention -- neat casual dress wouold be fine for Les Halles. No need to be "dressed up."
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:56 AM

Do call ahead. If you go before 7 pm, you'll have the place to yourself. Another alternative (one block from the Archives) that will seat you any time during the day is Jaleo - a local favorite.

http://www.jaleo.com/
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:13 AM
TandyJeffr

Would NOT waste my money on Les Hailles if I were you - a very tired bistro on Pa. Av. NW serving very tired food. I would suggest you invest in a Zagats - DC offers some great places. For example, Equinox or Asia Nora are 1,000 times better than Les Hailles. Jaleo is very good as well. Do look at Zagats.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:24 AM

I too think Les Halles is OK for steak frites but overall, nothing special.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:40 AM
TandyJeffr

Don't know your budget, but here are some areas to consider for restaurants, and an interestingplace: 7th Street NW, Adams-Morgan, Dupont Circle. Areas to skip for food - M street in G'town and Cap. Hill.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:39 PM

We had a mediocre French onion soup at Les Halles--but our lunch at Le Lavandou was terrific.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:54 PM
aisleadjoining

As mentioned, Asia Nora is among the city's best: 23rd NW and M Street.

Equinox as well, near 16th NW by near White House.

Can recommend Orange Line Metro to Clarendon, vietnamese.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:44 PM

Anothre great option for steak frites is Montmarte at Eastern Market (also get an endive salad - DC's best!)

http://www.montmartre.us/