Washington DC - hotel suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help finding a reasonable hotel around the DC area. We'd like to be real close to a metro station, and have breakfast included in the stay. Any suggestion for a hotel, or an area outside of dc to look at? I'll be bringing two grandparents, an adult and a baby.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM

What do you consider "reasonable"? I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt on top of Metro Center for $149 in a couple of weeks and that's right in the heart of town, but it doesn't include breakfast. There are two Embassy Suites at a similar price point that do include breakfast, but they are farther from a Metro Station.

I think timing makes a great deal of difference in DC. Many hotels are quite expensive during the week and much cheaper on weekends. Some are just expensive all the time. And prices will start going up soon, especially during the cherry blossom season shortly.

If you are thinking closer to $100, then I thin you really have to stay outside the district proper. but there are hotels next to or near stations in Arlington and the suburbs.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Here are the areas I suggest you look:

in DC: Dupont Circle, Downtown, Penn Quarter
in VA: Rosslyn, Crystal City

Without a nightly budget in USDs, exact dates, and number of beds, specific recommendations are not really possible.

One suite hotel you might want to check is Embassy Suites. There are several in the area which are convenient.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM

If you're bringing that many people but also want to be not too far from the Metro, then I would say maybe the Residence Inn by Marriott in Bethesda. Bethesda is also a nice area to walk around in. I think the Residence Inn includes breakfast in their rates and since they are not your typical hotel rooms, it would be more room for everyone to spread out.

There is also the Marriott at Metro Center--it's right at the metro in D.C. The only thing is that I think the area right there isn't that great as far as walking around and such. Not that it's a bad area, it's just that there's not a whole lot there. But you are right at the metro.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

We are looking at a price range of $150 and will be staying 3 nights, either Sun-Tues or Mon-Wed. Can you point me in the direction of the Embassy Suites at the price stated? I'm having a hard time finding that.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a ton of the suites hotels in the downtown, Dupont Circle and Penn Quarter neighborhoods which would be a preferable location to those outside of the city. Nothing wrong with any of those mentioned (and I've stayed at many of them) but if you're here to see the sights in DC you'll be better located within the city. Much easier to get back to the hotel for a rest if you're a tired grandparent or a kid needing a nap. I'm at the Palomar on P Street near Dupont Circle. There is a Residence Inn directly across the street . We're a 5 minute walk to the Metro which I would consider to be quite close.

People could be more helpful if, as mentioned, you could specify your dates, your budget-ish and whether you want 1 or 2 rooms. And again, as mentioned, rates fluctuate wildly with the time of year.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:12 AM

Your difficulty in finding a $150 rate may depend on the dates of travel. Monday-Friday can be quite a bit more expensive, particularly at the Embassy Suites Convention Center. Try the other one (I think it's called "Embassy Row") or the one in Bethesda. If you aren't seeing a rate of around $155 per night, then you may simply be traveling at a more expensive time. The rate I mentioned is good for the next couple of weeks, but then it goes up for cherry blossom season.

In DC, the actual DATES matter a lot, as do the days. Weekdays are almost always more expensive. In some cases dramatically so. If you were staying on a Friday and Saturday night you'd save more almost everywhere in the DC area.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:25 AM

Take a look at Days Inn CT Ave. No free breakfast but its right near a Metro Station and around $150 per night.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM

Days Inn CT Ave is a hardly a vacation - in fact it's a dump.

What are the actual dates? As mentioned above, it makes a huge difference.

Except for that rare hotel whose prices remain the same 365 days a year, like this one. It's within your budget, 2 blocks to Dupont Metro, nice location, nice rooms:

http://www.tabardinn.com/
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM

According to another thread by Cris87, they want to come in mid-April. He/she was advised there that the rates will be high at that time of year.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM

Re Tabard Inn: I thought the OP was looking for a suite that would accommodate 4 adults and a baby. The TI has that for $150 a night with an en-suite bathroom? That's impressive.

JMO, I don't think the Days Inn on Conn Ave is a dump. It's definitely a budget option but it and the area around it isn't a dump.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM

I agree with obxgirl. I have stayed there and it was fine. Definitely budget but it was clean, in a decent area and close to a Metro at a good rate. Is it luxury? No.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM

Got it: height of high season, 4 adults plus one baby, en-suite bath, close to Metro, free breakfasts, and no more than $150 a night (before taxes?). Have I missed anything or does OP want free parking as well?

Anyway, best of luck. I'll leave this one to the experts.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM

My apologies re. Tabard Inn, I had assumed that $150 was per room and didn't catch the en-suite requirement.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 12:00 PM

Bardo, thanks for posting about the Tabard Inn. I'm looking at it for my trip. 1 huge benefit it does have is being closer to downtown than the Days Inn. Its definitely not the type of hotel I usually stay at so need to think about it.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM

>>I had assumed that $150 was per room and didn't catch the en-suite requirement.