Notices

Washington DC hotels / locations

Old Mar 8th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Washington DC hotels / locations

We will be ending a three-week southeastern USA road trip in Washington DC in early October, and are expecting to stay three nights before flying home to California. We would like to see the local attractions: monuments, Smithsonian, etc and aren't familiar with hotels or locations that would be conducive to that.

I have looked at the Embassy Suites at Chevy Chase Pavilion - I think by the time we are at the end of the constant togetherness that such a trip entails - having the extra space in a suite will be very much appreciated! The price is decent ($269/nt), and it includes breakfast, so that's a plus.

Just not sure of the location. We are planning to turn in our rental car as soon as we get to DC, so will be taking public transportation and walking in the city. The hotel's website says that it is on the Metro line and it would be easy to get to the sights - is this true?

Any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels ($250 - 300) in good locations are welcome.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it's true. Anything on a metro line makes it fairly easy to get places and that line is direct right into the heart of the city, so even better. It just takes a little time, that's all, but it is easy. It's about 10-15 minutes by metro from there to Dupont Circle, for example.

It's not exactly a charming location, just a big mall and big stores around it, very businesslike, but it's convenient enough. Near a movie theater of you want to go to a movie and lots of stores, of course.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will be about a 20 minute Metro ride from Friendship Heights to Gallery Place, Archives or Smithsonian metro stops. If you don't plan to go back to the hotel during the day, that wouldn't be a problem, but if you do, it's a longish commute (by contrast, Dupont Circle is a 6-minute ride to Gallery Place)
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hotel you mentioned is in a perfectly fine place in an absolutely uninteresting part of the city.

There are suites hotels (Embassy Suites, Residence Inn, Homewood Suites, Marriott Courtyard etc) throughout the central part of DC near a metro and the most touristed sites. Look for these neighborhoods: Penn Quarter, Dupont Circle, West End, Foggy Bottom, Capitol Hill.

Your price point is generous enough barring a major convention or political event.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with obxgirl, I would never choose Chevy Chase if I could find an option in the city, and that shouldn't be hard to do.

For example, if you were to choose the Embassy Suites in Penn Quarter, you'd be able to walk to museums and monuments and back to the hotel as needed.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the Penn Quarter (Convention area) Embassy Suites looks great, but is about $150 more a night then the one at Chevy Chase - starts at $416/nt -yikes.

I am looking at Capitol Hill Hotel at 200 C Street SE. Is that a better location? There are suites available at a good price, and the reviews are very positive.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it's more expensive, but it's worth it to be able to walk or have a quick cab or Metro ride to get places.

There's another Embassy Suites, where I've stayed, between Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle. I loved that location because there were a lot of restaurants within walking distance and it was easy to get to sights. The Metro was a 5-minute walk, but it was otherwise very convenient. It's also going to be more expensive than Chevy Chase, but you really don't want to be out in the suburbs.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stay at the Capitol Hill hotel several times a yr, even though we like in Northern VA, as we like to stay downtown after Nationals games, to have a nice night out in DC, etc. We like that hotel very much. The comp breakfast is very good and complete. They offer use of bikes. Lots of restaurants to walk to, and a short walk to the Eastern Market which is very nice.

We have also stayed at the newish Camria Suites closer to the convention center ( btwn there and Shaw area). Very nice hotel also.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, that is Cambria Suites
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am looking at Capitol Hill Hotel at 200 C Street SE. Is that a better location? There are suites available at a good price, and the reviews are very positive.

Better than Chevy Chase? Yes, definitely.

I like Doug's suggestion of the ES in West End on 22nd Street a little more. That's my neighborhood so it's a personal preference.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went ahead and booked Capitol Hill Hotel - yes, better location than Chevy Chase, and good reviews.

The best part is that I was able to use the 127,000 avios (British Airways points) I have had for about four years and have been unable to use on any flights, despite numerous attempts. Always "unavailable." Always.

Who knew they would be good for hotels? Not me, until now.

So - four nights in the hotel's superior suite with 2 queen beds, kitchenette, breakfast included - for only $92 total. I am happy!
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are several suite-type hotels of the brands mentioned above in Arlington, VA. A very short Metro ride. I see you have found your hotel deal, but adding this for others who might be interested. My favorite is a Residence Inn in Ballston, although it is about 1/4 mile from Metro.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 03:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we are looking at a VRBO for January 2017. Is this too far away?

https://www.vrbo.com/3495267ha?utm_c...m_medium=email.

Hmm this link looks wrong.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the link is correct, you are in Alexandria which is about 20 min from DC on the metro. You're spitting distance from the metro station. That part of Alexandria, Old Town, is a fun destination in and of itself. Lots of great restaurants, shops, galleries, some US history and a pretty river view. There is a free city shuttle that runs from the metro to the river.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks obxgirl. It is good to know how long it takes to get to Washington DC from there.

Sorry to hijack screamer's thread.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 10:27 PM
kja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@ nelsonian: You can use WMATA's trip planner to identify travel times and options, and you can even enter specific street addresses:
http://www.wmata.com
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 05:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good location in terms of being near a metro which you will use to go back & forth to DC. I think whether its a good location depends upon whether you want to be in DC or you want to commute back & forth on the metro from Alex. to DC. I think Alexandria is ok, but it's not the same as being in DC.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sort of agree with yestravel, except that I love Old Town Alexandria and think it has a lot to offer, and it isn't necessarily worse than being in DC, objectively. But it does depend where you want to start and end your days, obviously. And if you're the kind of people who want to be able to go back to your hotel in the middle of the day for a break. And if you have any interest in Old Town or are focused entirely on stuff in DC.

I guess I'm just repeating the obvious: consider whether you want to stay in a really nice place that is adjacent to DC, or in DC itself.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are good locations in DC itself. We will have our two grandchildren with us, a 7 year old, and a 9 year old. We may want to go back to our hotel during the day.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Penn Quarter/Convention Center is my current favorite area, because of the number of hotels and restaurants there and for its proximity to museums and monuments. obxgirl has a lot of good ideas on other threads, including Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle, both also great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO