groceries in the touristic areas
(for people with sp. needs)?

Any specific zones that are close
by metro but also within walking dist.
of groceries and safe, too?

THANKS
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it depends on what kind of groceries you need. Can they be bought at a place like CVS, which carries some groceries? or do you need a larger grocery store?

If you need an actual grocery store, than you aren't going to have much luck in most tourist areas. There are grocery stores in DuPont Circle, Adams Morgan, and near the Watergate, in Van Ness.

My suggestion would be staying in Roslyn, where there is a market, or Pentagon City, where there is a huge grocery store (fairly close to the subway).

There is a high-end market (Whole Foods) near Logan Circle.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:12 AM

corsica may not be able to reply meaningfully to the reference to CVS. Despite how it seems to us here in their coverage area, they aren't everywhere.

In case you are not familiar with them, corsica, and especially if you are coming from abroad, CVS stores are drug stores (pharmacies) which also carry a wide number of general interest items, including food. They tend not to have as wide a selection of foods as grocery stores, though, and in particular not perishable items like fresh produce.

CVS stores and some competitors are quite common in the tourist areas, but grocery stores with a full selection of perishable foods are not.

corsica, I think we could provide you better help if you could tell us what you need to buy. Since you mention special needs, it sounds like it might be medically related, and here it may very well be more likely carried by an expanded drug store like CVS than a grocery store.

What types of goods are carried by what type of store even varies quite a bit from area to area in the U.S., and the more you tell us about what you need, the more likely you will be able to get specific guidance about where to get it in Washington.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:21 AM

There is a Whole Foods on P ST NW between 14th and 15th. They will have anything you need. It is a safe area and within about 5 blocks of the Blue Line McPherson Square Metro.

Stay at Wyndam or Homewood Suites on M street between 14th and 15th. You will be about 2 blocks from the Grocery store.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Well, I'm not sure that Whole Foods is the answer to everyone's problems. There are lots of things they don't carry.