Inexpensive shopping in Washington DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will visit Washington DC in JUne for a business matters but I will have a day for a shopping. Please advise some not expensive shopping centers, where I can do shopping (clothes, shoes and gifts) for my mom, dad, husband and son. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM

If you're looking for a standard type mall, you could try Fashion Center Mall. It's not in DC as such, but two Metro stops away at Pentagon City, Arlington, VA on the yellow line.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Do you have a car? If not, there are some discount stores in DC proper -- Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx, Loehmann's are all in/near Mazza Gallerie.

If you do have a car, consider heading to Leesburg, VA, to the outlet mall:

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=14

Leesburg itself is a cute little town (you have to drive past the outlets to get to the town center though). If you do end up driving to Leesburg, maybe treat yourself to a nice lunch at Tuscarora Mill before heading to the outlets.

If you want to have a really long drive in miserable traffic, then head to the outlets at Potomac Mills (VA).

DC isn't really known for any major discount shopping that you wouldn't find in/near your hometown.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Unless you live in a really rural area, what you find at most shopping centers in DC isn't going to be all that different than what you'd fine at the mall back home, especially if the goal is inexpensive. Assuming you can find a TJ Maxx, a Macy's or Old Navy near home, there's nothing in DC to go out of the way for.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM

For DC-specific merchandise, see the street vendors on almost every block downtown. For one-of-a-kind shops, the area from Logan Circle to 14th and U has an interesting mix of fashion, furniture and home accessories stores. Otherwise, the stores are just what you'd find anywhere else in the US.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM

If all you want are interesting souvenirs, I'd forget shopping at chain stores (and the ones that are unique are not cheap, say in Old Town Alexandria or Georgetown) -- and just go to museum shops. They aren't cheap, either, but at least the stuff will be memorable as a souvenir and you can find some unusual and interesting stuff in them -- try the Natural History museum gift shop, for example.

Other than that, just knock around Dupont Circle or Adams Morgan, there are shops around there where you'll find something.