Driving from Orlando to Sarasota for the beach "Is this a crazy idea?"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are planning a trip to Florida in June.We will fly into Orlando and visit Disneyworld and the space station. And then we are thinking of driving to Sarasota for the beach and flying home from there. I read that Sarasota has the best beaches for kids and families. Any advice would be welcome.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM

I love Sarasota--my in-laws live there and we visit each summer. The beaches are indeed fabulous. Not sure about accomodations as I've never had to pay to stay, but Sarasota is a great city--check out Siesta Key--huge beach, playground. The other beaches are nice, also. If you're there on a Sunday, go to Siesta at sunset and check out the huge drum circle--who knew all the hippies had moved to Sarasota? If you're into hiking, Myakka River is way cool--lots of alligators. Or you can just ride a pontoon if the gators are too scary for hiking--lots of fun stuff for kids.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM

What would be crazy about it? I don't get it. If you can get reasonable flights from SRQ or TPA, go for it.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Its only a couple of hours... do it... the beach sand is pure sugar white and the ocean should be a part of every Florida Trip! have Fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I just re read your Post... If you are going to the Kennedy Space Center, you may find it closer to stay on the East coast and fly out of an airport there...
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:52 PM

We did Disney with our kids and pulled out a day early to spend an extra day at the beach and they LOVED it. We just returned from Anna Maria Island. It's near Sarasota, about an hour drive south of Tampa. So either airport is good but folks say it's cheaper usually to fly from Tampa. You can't beat Anna Maria for a great beach, laid back feel and so safe for a family. Lots of inexpensive restaurants.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Not at all crazy, but Tampa is a better airport for your departure than Sarasota (about 1 1/4 hr. drive from Sarasota).

Anna Maria is a lovely island but the kids might enjoy seeing the Circus museum at the Ringling in Sarasota.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM

We have a condo in Venice (just south of Sarasota) and have done the Disney/Sarasota trip MANY times. I usually fly round trip out of Tampa as the rates are usually cheapest and it is 1.5 hours to Venice and/or Disney. I usually can't take Disney noise level for more than 3 nights so we LOVE going to the beach after to really unwind. My 6 year old Loves it too! BTW-Siesta Key one of the TOP 10 Beaches in World!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Sarasota is a beautiful beach and I don't disagree with any of the previous posts. Cocoa Beach is 45 minutes from Orlando airport, and 15 minutes from Kennedy Space Center. You can still round trip through Orlando and get in some beach days.