Shopping in DC

Jan 5th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Shopping in DC

My DD is doing a lot of business traveling to/from New Orleans to DC. On her last trip she found the TJ Maxx in Chevy Chase, but would like more ideas. She is looking for upscale shopping malls, but for quality discount dept stores for business and casual clothing.

Lots of our stores here have closed or in the process of closing. Anyway, the shopping in our area is not what is once was.

Do you have suggestions, or can you point me to a thread that lists some stores like this?

Thank you!
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I'm so sorry, that should have been she is NOT looking for upscale shopping malls . . .
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM

BayouGal, I don't do much shopping in DC, but if your daughter has a car and wants to take a drive, Arundel Mills Mall in Maryland (new BWI airport) has tons of retail outlet stores.

http://www.arundelmillsmall.com/static/node1858.jsp
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Filene's Basement may be a good place, if she likes TJ Maxx. There are multiple locations in D.C., which she can find on the filenesbasement.com website. We also have several Kohls stores in this area (kohls.com) and Steinmart (steinmart.com), which are like TJ Maxx. For shoes, DSW Shoe Warehouse is wonderful.

As for outlets, if she has a car, I prefer Leesburg Premium Outlet far more than Arundel Mills or Potomac Mills Outlet Malls.

I don't know if it's a bit above her desired price range, but I'd encourage her to check out Ann Taylor Loft, as well. They have good work clothes, and there's always a ton of stuff on sale online and in store - they also send a lot of 10-20% coupons.

Further, Lord and Taylor is a good department store that sends out email coupons for store use almost weekly (from 10-25% off). You have to sign up on their website (you can't just print them from the website), but it's worth it.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM

If you are referring to the TJ Maxx in Friendship Heights (on Jenifer St. near Wisconsin Ave), then Filene's Basement, Steinmart, Ann Taylor Loft, Lord and Taylor, and Loehmanns are all within a one block radius, as are Neiman Marcus and some other upscale places.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM

If she's in Chevy Chase, South Moon Under is one of my favorite boutiques. It ranges from moderate to pricey, and they always have the cutest bathing suits. I believe they have a few locations in the DC area:

www.southmoonunder.com
Jan 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! She will be staying at the Monaco next week, and will use the Metro for transportation. I will definitely give her this great information.

Thank you all! You are always so helpful!
Jan 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Monaco is located in Penn Quarter (and is home to restaraunt Poste which is ranked as one of this year's top 100 restaurants by Washingtonian magazine). It's also home to many other restaurants and shopping...so it's not necessary for her to leave the area for shopping.

Stores in Penn Quarter include Urban Outfiters, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, H&M, and Filene's Basement. There's also a Macy's in that area (at Metro Center).

My favorite restaurant is in that neighborhood...Zaytinya.
Jan 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Oh, yes, beanweb! We love Zaytinya's, and also Jaleo's. Repete and Barbo turned us onto those. Both are excellent! And thanks for the shopping recs in that area!