Search

Washinghton DC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Patti

Washinghton DC

Aloha, Have only traveled out of Hawaii 3 times,Will be going to Washinghton DC in July for 4 days. Husband will be in a conference so I am on my own.Is there a easy way to get around and see things? any advice? Thank you.Patti

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Suzy

Unlike Hawaii, Washington has excellent public transportation. The Metro subway system will take you anywhere you need to go. Get a good basic tour book (free for AAA members) with a good map of the Capitol/Mall area, and read the posting here that have the keyword "Washington DC".

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:54 PM
mike

Patti--

I was there a couple of years ago and there was a shuttle that goes to the Smithsonian, Arlington Cemetery and other points of interest. I think you pay once and can hop on and off all day.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:08 PM
carolyn

Patti,

You will have no problem getting around using public transportation. The metro's website is www.wmata.com. The website will give you the route if you enter the hotel address and the landmark.

And, as Mike mentioned, there are tour bus companies that you pay a fee and they'll take you on a guided tour to all the major sights, and you can hop on and off all day. It all depends on what you want to do and see. You can take the metro to the Mall/Smithsonian for $1.10 one way from most of the city.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Jen

We tried the hop-on-hop-off bus and found that when we wanted to hop ON, sometimes we had to wait quite a while, and occasionally the trolley arrived at our stop too full to take on any more passengers. So I'd recommend this alternative if you want to take it all the way around for the tour, but for just getting from place to place, I'd either walk or take the Metro.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:57 PM
ilisa

The Tourmobile is the most efficient "hop-on, hop-off" bus in the city.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:09 PM
formerdcguy

Tourmobile and other "tour" buses are actually pretty expensive and almost more trouble than they're worth. The Metro is clean and cheap and easy. If you're just looking for an easy way to get around the farther distances, Taxis are abundant and surprisingly cheap thanks to Congress (who made it zone fares all centered inexpensively around the central part of DC). More than anything, DC is a wonderful walking town. Your transportation options will probably be dictated by the location of your hotel. All are fine. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:49 PM
RiotFemme

I love D.C. You'll have a great time. The District is pretty small and it's easy to get around with the excellent Metro system. Everything is tax-paid so you rarely pay an admission price. 4 days huh? I suggest you hit the National Mall where you'll find, well, mostly everything. You can do some shopping and dining in Georgetown and at Union Station. And Don't forget Arlington. By the way, the District is divided into four sections. Cab fare is pretty cheap if you travel within the same section, but it can be costly once you travel from one section to another. The Metro is cheaper. I also suggest the Twilight Tour on one of those tour trams you take at Union Station. DC at night is lovely. Have fun!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 05:54 AM
ga

Dinner at the Key Bridge Marriott gives you one of the nicest views of the city.