Wash DC 4 Pts Sheraton Pentagon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is planning a June trip to DC. Is anyone familiar with the Four Points Sheraton Pentagon at 2480 Giebe Rd? We understand it's been recently remodeled and has a indoor pool, but is it near any restaurants or shopping? A Metro stop? Is it located in a safe area? Thanks for your feedback!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Haven't been there since the remodel, but the area is OK. Pentagon City Mall has lots of restaurants and a metro stop in the basement. Crystal City Underground is also nearby with restaurants and shopping. You can access from the Crystal Gateway Marriott.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 12:47 PM

I believe that's in Crystal City (on South Glebe, right?). It's safe enough, and fine if you just want a base for touring the DC area. There are a bunch of chain restaurants in Pentagon City. And there's are a couple of metro stops: either Crystal City or Pentagon City.

I'm not a big fan of Crystal City (which kind of melds into Pentagon City), or the Concrete Jungle as it's known. It has zero personality and is low on good restaurants. But, as I said, if you just want somewhere to sleep near a metro, it will do the job.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:04 PM

This hotel is actually not in pentagon or crystal city at all, and it isn't really even close to the Pentagon, the name is very misleading. This hotel is several miles down Interstate 395 where it intersects with Glebe Road. So it is right near the highway into the city but is not walking distance to any metro or really to any restaurants or stores. There is an area nearby called shirlington which has stores and restaurants, but it is quite a walk and not the best neighborhood. I would definitely not recommend this place just because it is not near the metro and a bit far from the city. I would try and find something in Pentagon/ crystal city. The main roads in that neighborhood are Eads St. and Route 1 (called Jefferson Davis Hwy). Almost all the hotels in this area are walking distance to the metro. Hope that is helpful to you.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Listen to cusak! This is not a good location. It's off the highway well past the Pentagon, and next to Arlington's poorest neighborhood. Look elsewhere!

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:42 PM

I lived across the street from that Sheraton until a couple of months ago. the hotel has a shuttle, which is critical because it's not near a metro stop and the metro bus only runs during rush hour.
You could walk about half a mile to Shirlington, where there are shops and restaurants, but to get there, you would have to walk past the crack ho down the street, a drug store on the corner (literally), two chop shops, all while tryiing to sidestep the used condoms and broken glass.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, but I'm confused by the conflicting information. I've gone back and checked addresses and found 3 Sheratons in the area. The 4 Points Sheraton Wash DC-Pentagon address is 2480 S. Glebe Rd. The Sheraton Crystal City Hotel is at 1800 Jefferson Davis Hwy (1 miles from Reagan Intl Airport). The third Sheraton Pentagon South Alexandria is at 4641 Kenmore Ave. Would appreciate info on any of the three. Thanks so much!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:28 AM

The Glebe Road Sheraton is the one to avoid. The other two are better. The Kenmore Ave Sheraton used to be a Ramada, and is next to a small shopping center. It's convenient to the highway, but not the Metro. The Crystal City Sheraton is the best location if you want to be near a Metro stop. It's also located near the Pentagon City Mall, which is quite nice.
Of the three, I'd choose the Crystal City location. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:21 AM

Weird. Originally I thought this hotel was off 395, so I put the 2480 address into Mapquest, and it gave me directions to Crystal City. Of course, I should know better than to trust mapquest.

Hiking45, if you want shops and restaurants and a metro, stay at the Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn (King Street) or Residence Inn (Duke Street) in Old Town Alexandria. The latter two are new hotels within easy walking distance of the King Street metro stop. Embassy Suites is right across the street from the King Street metro.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM

Spider is right, the Crystal City Sheraton is probably the best, of course I am sure it is the most expensive too! There are hotels of all price ranges in crystal city, from holiday inn and days inn up to the Ritz Carlton. My advise is to stick with one in Crystal City or in Washington itself that is walking distance to the metro. The metro is clean, safe and easy to use and driving and parking in DC is a nightmare.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM

I stayed nearby at the "Econolodge Airport", also on Glebe Rd. If you will be spending most of your time in DC /Alexandria, etc., and will only "crash" at the hotel when all your other days activities are over, then call the 4 Pts to confirm shuttle times and stay there if times are satisfactory. (The Econolodge only offered a few shuttles a day) But if you think you'd wish to return to the hotel during the day, find another location, as waiting for the shuttle will get tiring very fast and waste precious vacation time. Alexandria's Embassy Suites is nice, and also consider hotels near Rosslyn Metro Station. It's a boring location, but safe and the closest VA metro station to DC. I like the Quality Inn Iwo Jima, that has an enclosed pool.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:59 PM

I lived across the street from the Four Points Sheraton on Glebe Road. The Econolodge is across the street. I'm not familiar with the ones in Crystal city, but it certainly would be closer to the metro.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:49 AM

This is NOT a convenient location at all. The Four Points Sheraton at 12th & K st. NW in DC is about the same price, you should call them and ask about specials.