Reload this Page >

Ritz Pentagon City or DC ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Paul

Altough I searched this forum for an answer I'm still undecided which hotel to choose for my first city trip to DC: Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City (club level room) or sister property Wash. DC (standard room)? My sole purpose is sightseeing (Pentagon has the metro at its door), no gym necessary...which hotel has better service, atmosphere etc. Getting in/out via IAD.
Any suggestions ? Thanks!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:30 PM
amy

Hi Paul,

You didn't mention how long you will be in town for, and whether not being right in the city would matter.

They are both nice hotels. The service is really the same. The one in D.C. is in a nice location, but it's a bit of a walk to the metro. (I believe the closest one would be Faraquet West/George Washington University.

Is there a particular reason that you are staying at the Ritz? If not, and if you want a hotel right at the metro, with the same type of service, I would choose the Mayflower Renaissance at in D.C. Gorgeous hotel, a block from the metro, and also just a metro stop away from Dupont Circle, which as tons of places to eat, shops, and so forth.

I found the link for the hotel, maybe you can get special rates:

http://marriott.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=WASSH&checked=True&Marriott_BD={0D56C1D3-CC75-4434-9F98-49104649A87C}

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Mike

The appeal of the Ritz Pentagon City fascinates me because it is a luxury hotel slapped on a typical mall in a fairly drab residential/commercial area. (Ritz Tysons is worse since it is slapped on a boring mall in the most congested, inaccessible part of suburban DC).

If you are coming to the city, why would stay near a shopping mall when you can stay closer to the heart of the city where the action is. The Ritz DC is a 5-10 minute walk to Foggy Bottom Metro and 10-15 minute walk to Dupont Circle and its Metro. You are near interesting restaurants, nightlife, and the "feel" of the city. Pentagon City and Tysons offer neither of these for a visitor.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Ted

Mike, that might be true for SOME people and perhaps yourself, but believe it or not, there really are some VERY TIRED tourists who are NOT interested in nightlife who wnat to get OUT of the congested City by the time the sun goes down and actually prefer -- believe it or not -- a more suburban setting! Also, the Tyson's Corner Mall you refer to is NOT drab and happens to be located in one of the most UPSCALE communities in all of Virginia! Also, the Pentagon City location is quite nice as well--and the mall there is upscale, too!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Jes

Pentagon City (which is connected to the RITZ CARLTON, use to be upscale until thousands of underclass blacks starting coming to the mall to hang out, now it is a bit scary!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:18 AM
shaggy

Why the black comment--now this "conversation" will turn into a race war.

I stayed at the Ritz Pentagon City about 7 years ago. The club level has an excellent presentation throughout the day. Great to get a bite to eat before starting your day or night cap to end it. Service and staff were as expected for any Ritz property--very accomodating. Metro location is very convenient, and my kids enjoyed being near the mall. Unless things changed, I don't remember any "unerclass" people-- black or otherwise..but it has been a while since I've stayed there.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Mike

Ted, I understand people will be tired and may not want to take advantage of what the city has to offer, but I guess I wouldn't choose Pentagon City or Tysons as the places I would do that.

Pentagon City, yes, is on top of a Metro but is a 20 minute subway ride to anything of interest, unless you are going to spend the entire time on the Mall. Tysons is inaccessible by mass transit and is in a congested, distant part of Northern Virginia. For a tourist who can afford the Ritz, I can't imagine there is one restaurant near either Pentagon City or Tysons that they would find interesting, unless California Pizza Kitchen fits the bill.

To describe Tysons and Pentagon City as "upscale" is also something of an exaggeration. They are nice, suburban malls but have the same Gap, Crate & Barell and Pretzel shops as every mall on the East Coast.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Chris

Mike, you don't know much about dining in Tysons Corner. I wouldn't recommend Paul stay at the Ritz at Tysons because of the distance to DC and the lack of public trans, but you clearly aren't aware of the numerous excellent, expensive, high-class restaurants in the area, such as Colvin Run Tavern, Maestro (in the Ritz!), The Palm, Neisha Thai, Sam & Harry's...Tysons II, sitting beneath the Ritz, is also more upscale than Tysons I which contains the chain stores you name.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Mike

Besides Maestro, are any of those within walking distance of the Ritz, or will you have to get in a cab and trudge up and down Leesburg Pike to get there?

As you said, it is no place for a tourist. It makes more sense for people on business in the area or who want a weekend shopping at the (practically dead) Tyson's Galleria or the congested Tyson's Corner.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Ann

Mike, my brother! I am with you on this entirely. Unless someone's on a very tight budget, then they should never stay in the suburbs.

Both Tysons Corner and Pentagon City (towns and malls) are dull and boring. This is a fact, not an opinion.

There just is no comparison to DC in terms of restaurants, shops, transportation, nightlife, and of course all of the tourist sites.

Paul-your time to/from Dulles will be pretty much the same from either Pentagon City or downtown.

Chris, expensive does not automatically mean a restaurant will be good, and you provided two perfect examples: Sam and Harry's and The Palm. I agree with you on Colvin Run, but I've never been there because I see no point in dealing with the traffic nightmare on Route 7 when I can zip into DC so easily. Yes, it kills me that I live in the burbs, but I work in Virginia, so please forgive me.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Chris

I agree, don't stay in the burbs. All I was referring to was Mike's statement:
"For a tourist who can afford the Ritz, I can't imagine there is one restaurant near either Pentagon City or Tysons that they would find interesting, unless California Pizza Kitchen fits the bill." Mike, you didn't say WALK. You said NEAR, and you said they wouldn't find anything INTERESTING. Wrong. But ... Paul ... stay in DC.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Marti

Paul, I just stayed at the Ritz Pentagon city in early Sept. I had NO problem with the fact it was outside of the city, in fact, I saved around $75 because it's a cheaper hotel, with the same amenitites as the downtown one. There is a neat little area right around the corner from the hotel with an Irish pub, a Vietnamese restaurant, a coffee shop, and a lot of unique shopping (skip the mall...), You can't beat the metro being outside the door. The concierge was awesome, the atmosphere very nice, and Sunday brunch is rated one of the top in DC. Have fun!!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Ted

Once again, many people are NOT city people but enjoy VISITING the city for various attractions and then want to escape ASAP! If Paul were renting a car, Tysons Corner would be fine. If not, then Pentagon City would be the proper place (unless he WANTS to stay in the city. And who needs multiple restaurants anyway? The food at the Ritz is fantastic--and that's all one really needs, unless one WANTS to experience the various ethnic restaurants in the city, but it really isn't necessary! As for Mike's comment that Tysons Corner is like any mall in America--sorry, Mike, but you're flat out WRONG! True, some of the stores may be the same generic ones you mentioned and perhaps there is no Tiffany's, Prada or Frette, but I would have to still maintain that Tysons as well as Montgomery Mall and White Flint (my two personal favorites) are still "upscale" malls as far as ambience and location are concerned! Unless, of course, you think Wheaton Plaza is just as nice as those aforementioned! NOT!!!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Paul

Thank you all for your interesting input so far! RC Tysons Corner was already off my scope as it's obviously to far away from DC's major tourist attractions (I will solely rely on taxi or metro to get around). As I will be out for sightseeing most of the day neither a mall nearby would necessarily bother me nor would I mind walking a few blocks to reach a metro station (although walking might be not a good advice at the moment). It finally comes down to which of those two hotels is nicer/better rooms/better service or staff/views/safe neighbourhood. Or maybe price should decide: I can get RC DC for $225/nite (standard room), RC PC for $279/nite (club level).
Although this crazy sniper thing is concerning me more and more I'm still confident to visit DC in a few weeks time (not intending to start a new discussion on that topic).

Paul

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:44 PM
ann

Paul,

If you are now narrowing it down to price, then choose the Ritz in D.C. It doesn't make sense to pay more money to be in Pentagon city, and be a longer metro ride away from where you want to be.

Since you mentioned that you will either take metro or a taxi, the one in D.C. in my opinion, makes the most sense. Especically, if after a long day of sight-seeing, you just want to take a cab someplace in D.C. It'll be less costly, timely, that way.

Let us know how you're trip turned out when you get back!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Paul

Thanks Ann and everyone else, I'll go for RC DC.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Ann

Hoorah! And see the arguments you started?

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip, and the RC. It's a gorgeous hotel.