warm mid-Atlantic destination for April

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warm mid-Atlantic destination for April

We've had to give up on our idea to go to California in April--waited to long for airline tickets--and now are looking for a warm destination from New England. We could fly part way south, I guess--perhaps to Washington, D.C., and drive from there.

We were thinking perhaps the Carolinas. We have a child pondering colleges, so Raleigh-Durham might be a destination. But what about the coast? Are there are any must-sees that would appeal to teens? Any nice beach resorts for a one- or two-night stay, anywhere in Virginia or the Carolinas?
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:05 PM

It would be too chilly for Virginia Beach or at the Delaware & Marlyand beaches. Probably too cold for N. Carolina. I don't know about S. Carolina.

You could visit us here in D.C. It's Cherry Blossom Festival time from March 22 through April 7. The peak bloom though, was predicted to be after the festival was over, i.e. from April 8 to 16.

As for univerisities, we've got Georgetown, George Mason, and George Washington among others. A bit further afield are U. Virginia, Virginia Tech, and William & Mary.

We can get some really nice weather here in No. VA/D.C. in April.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
penel523,

With all due respect you've asked the same essential question three time (and received a variety of replies).

Perhaps you need to rephrase your query to get the sort of answer you're looking for.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Dear obxgirl,

You're very observant, and of course you're right. I've been struggling with different titles to the message, and with different rephrasings of my question--but I find I'm getting replies that aren't that informative. So I'll keep up the struggle to retitle and rephrase.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 02:27 PM
GoTravel

The further south you go, the more likely you will have warm weather. South Carolina beaches should be mid eighties during that time and cool at night. By the way, SC and NC aren't considered Mid-Atlantic.

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think folks are just not clear on what you're asking for.

You've mentioned DC, Virginia & NC beaches, Raleigh and Charleston, and thngs appealing to teens. All of these are worthy goals but I'm not clear on which is your priority and what your ultimate destination is.

If it's Va/NC beaches, there are plenty of offerings. You could go to the Va eastern shore for a couple of days, perhap Chincoteague. A little further south would be Virginia Beach (not my favorite), or the Outer Banks. Or consider the Maryland beaches, eastern shore and/or Annapolis area. All will likely have warm weather (60s, 70s and maybe 80s). GoTravel points out that NC is not part of the Mid Atlantic which is true. However the Outer Banks is so close to the SE tip of Va the climate is very similar.

If Raleigh is your one of your destinations, then why not just fly directly there? As I mentioned previously, the beaches aren't particularly convenient. And if Charleston is where you're ultimately headed, it's about 300 miles of mostly highway driving. Much easier access to beaches.

As for must see's for teens....give people a hint on what they like and you'll probably get lots of help.

Good luck on your journey and for what it's worth, I'll be in the Outer Banks in April!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:01 AM

You may have same difficulty with airline tickets for east coast for April as you did with California. This year Easter, Passover, Patriots Day (Massachusetts) all fall so close together as to make eastern US air travel difficult to book. If you really want relly warm, I think you have to go to Florida - Virginia or even Carolinas for beach would be too chilly.