Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Washington DC April 3-8... Thoughts please!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Initially, I had posted a thread in early October about a trip to Washington DC. I had planned everything down to the last detail for a trip in early November... which was cancelled at the last minute due to emergency surgery.

Due to having used many of my available vacation days, my daughter (7-years-old) and I will now be going during her Spring Break, April 3-8, so that I don't have to take off of work. I tried avoiding the crowds, but now find us going during Cherry Blossom season.

Am I crazy to reschedule to this time? Any suggestions? Even with the crowds, is it possible to fit in the highlights of Washington DC?

Thank you!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM
LN

I've lived in the DC area for many years and sightseeing during the cherry blossom festival can be wonderful. Washington is actually made for tourists!!

Throughout the year many people visit the nation's capitol so it isn't very difficult to maneuver your way around when it's a special week (like the Cherry blossom festival). Our subway (Metro) is easily maneuverable and the city is easy to walk. There are special tourist buses that will take you from one site to another without you getting lost or worried.

Your hotel rates could be a bit higher but - that can be the breaks of the game. If you can manage it -come on and do it.

Have a great time!!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM

I agree. Early April is THE best time to visit.

Yes, many others are aware of this as well... and hotel prices are slightly higher as a result. Worth every extra penny.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:41 AM

I visited DC during April/Cherry Blossom time. There were lots of visitors (and some class trips) but it was not overwhelming. It is a beautiful time to visit and the weather was perfect for walking.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks for all of the encouraging words about an April visit! My son (ten years old) and I will be there from the 30th until the 8th of April and I was starting to get a little worried about all the mention of horrendous crowds.

I've tried to book as many of the reserved tickets as I can already, and we're staying at a friend's place in Alexandria, so at least we don't have to worry about accomodations.

We even have bleacher seats for the Cherry Blossom parade on Saturday so we don't have to worry about finding a space on the sidewalk or hauling chairs around! Don't forget too that the Japanese street festival starts right around the time the parade finishes.

It seems like quite a few Fodorites will be there around that time. Maybe we should come up with some stylish signal hat to let others know we're one of the club