Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are we crazy going to Washington DC in April??

Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

We are planning a last minute trip to Washington DC April 15th to the 20th. Are we crazy going in April, particularly since we are unable to get tour reservations this late in the game?? I had no problem getting a hotel and flights, I'm just worried about the crowds? Thanks for any insight!!
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM

There are a thousand wonderful things to do in DC that do not require reservations, including all the Smithsonians and all the monuments and memorials except Washington (for which you substitute the old post office tower).

Your timing puts you mostly in-between the Cherry Blossom Festival and the arrival of the families from New England, where many kids' spring break begins on April 18.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM

I think April is a great time to visit DC. Actually, I think the only really bad time is during the summer. Cherry Blossums are at their peak right now, so you'll miss that craziness and I don't really think there's anything huge going on at that time. I'm not sure what kind of tours you were looking for, but I'm sure you'll be able to get whereever you're trying to go.... What kind of tour were you looking for that you couldn't get?
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM

What tour were you unable to get reservations for?

It will likely be crowded, but not unbearably so - probably a fair amount of school groups, but less crowded than during the cherry blossoms (which will be over) and during the summer. Will this be your first time here? What do you want to see? Going places like the Smithsonian museums first thing in the morning when they open helps. Also, visiting the monuments as late as possible at night - the bus tours and school groups visit at night but tend to go on the earlier side.

Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM

We'll be there the 13-15.

FYI, the Pope is arriving on the 15th, I would expect traffic to be horrendous during his visit!

Otherwise, take the previous posters' advice, as we will!
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping to get advanced reservations for the White House, Capitol and National Archives. I contacted my Congresswoman but had no luck. I know the White House is out of the question but my understanding is we just need to get in line early for the other 2.

We are also planning to see some of the Smithsonian Museums and Monuments too. You are right! there is a lot to do! Thanks
Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
LN

You won't have any luck getting a White House tour and as far as getting in line for the Capitol - I think that's a toss of the dice. So many people take the congressional tours that there's not much time available for walk-ups. I'm only saying that because I work in downtown DC and see it daily.

As to everything that is available here - come - enjoy - there's plenty of other tours or make up your own tour. You can walk the mall, hop the subway, or find yourself getting all around DC as an experienced sightseer.

Go - enjoy
Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM

Theres so much to see and do in Washington D.C. And some great places to eat, and tons of tours. Enjoy
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Agreed, there are tons of priceless activities in DC that don't require a reservation or cost a dime.

And the best way to avoid the crowds is obviously during the week-preferably on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Still, another way to crowds is through tours. Take a Washington DC Cruise or tour bus. (http://www.washingtondc-go.com/tours...c-cruises.html)

Enjoy
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Um, George, this thread is from last year. The OP's trip was 9 months ago.
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Um, Anonymous, your math skills are to be commended, however, George's reply definitely is of use to those of us searching for D.C. info long after the OP requested help.
Feb 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM

April is a perfect time to visit DC. Cherry Blossoms and weather ususally gorgeous. Montgomery County spring break is April 6-13. We often take kids to Mall, Smithsonian during spring break and it's not horrible. Summer is awfully crowded and HOT.

Have a great time.
Mar 4th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Of course my responses are helpful. I think the point is to create content that is useful for readers over time--not just in April 2008.

FYI, the correct link is http://www.washingtondc-go.com/tours...c-cruises.html