Want to see a lot but not exhaust ourselves on the Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time we went to the BI ten years ago, we were at a conference and had only a small amount of free time to explore. This time we'd like to go back with our daughter, age 12, to REALLY get a good feel for this lovely island. The inherent problems are that my daughter likes to spend a lot of time at the resort in the pool and little time in the car. My husband likes to have a very loose itinerary with plenty of time to poke into local stores and shops and diners - away from the tourist scene. I like to see EVERYTHING and "sleep when I'm dead"!

Look this over and make suggestions, please:

Arrival day Hapuna: check in, enjoy beach and pool, dine onsite.
Day 2 Hapuna - make drive to Polulu Valley with stops in Waimea and Hawi. Back to resort for beach/pool and dinner perhaps in the Waikoloa area.
Day 3 - Here's where I think my husband would LOVE to visit Mauna Kea summit. He loves astronomy. My concerns are that the tour takes about 8 hours and I'm worried about torturing our daughter and maybe even making her ill from riding &/or altitude.
Day 4 - Our BIG DAY over to the Volcano: I have a lot (maybe too much) I'd like to build into this day. I'd like to stop at Waipio Valley overlook (not sure about taking the time to ride/carriage/hike down into the valley); check out the lovely scenery along the Hamakua coast and waterfalls north of Hilo, spend a little time in Hilo, and perhaps even make a loop through the Puna area before settling in at our B&B in Volcano Village. Is this WAY too much?
Day 5 - Explore VNP including a little light hiking and try to see what we can see at dusk/dark, maybe dinner at the Kilauea Lodge.
Day 6 - Check out of our B&B and take the southern route to Keauhou, stopping to visit South Point, the black sand beach, and the Place of Refuge. Would also like to visit Kona and maybe drive upland to see the coffee farms but this might be pushing this day a little hard. Maybe dinner somewhere in Kona? Since the Outrigger Keauhou has that interesting location on the tidepools with a good snorkeling beach next door, would like to take advantage of hanging out there in the evening and next morning.
Day 7 - transfer to Maui for some "chill out" beach time.

Keeping in mind a five full day itinerary (and two half days) with plans to make a circuit of the island Kona to Kona clockwise, three nights at Hapuna, two nights Volcano Village, and one night Keauhou; what would you suggest I add/subtract/or flat-out change about this loose itinerary?

Mahalo, mahalo, mahalo for your help!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:36 AM

We also did the circuit around the island (although in the other direction), and it really cut down on the drive time as compared with staying in one place! Your itinerary sounds pretty good, although Day 4 is much too full. If you could add a day to see the Waipio Valley and stay in Hilo to split the trip in half, that might be a better thought.

A thought: BI has lots of very nice beaches (A-Bay, Puna'a'lu'u black sand, Hapuna, etc.), and if you could spend a few more days there instead of going to Maui, that would slow the trip down even more. We spent 10 days on the BI and we still did not manage to see it all!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

ChristieP -
I know you are right. Unfortunately, in the course of compromise/negotiations, my family insisted on a few days at the Grand Wailea. I have spent time at the Waipio Valley before so could make that a quick stop, I guess. Although I'd love to go down into the valley. Doubt we could do this AND explore Puna (which I've never done). It might be worth missing some time out at VNP to double back and spend a little time driving in there?

I'm wondering how those in the know would rate spending a full day and a half in VNP vs. taking some time in Puna.

Also, do those who have taken a tour into the Waipio Valley or taken the summit tour of Mauna Kea rate these activities as highlights of their trip/not to be missed or just "okay" experiences.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Personally, I found VNP extremely fascinating, but then I have always loved science. I'd think that 1 full day in VNP would be plenty. We spent two half-days and we saw all that we wanted to see. I enjoyed driving around Puna but we didn't stop to do much sightseeing. I took some gorgeous pictures of the coastline there, and we liked seeing the surfers.

If you could convince your family that there are luxury hotels with fancy pools and beaches on the BI, and that by shifting islands, they will essentially lose a day of their vacation due to travel time...it's worth a try! ;-)
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:08 AM

The Mauna Kea summit is very interesting, but tough to get to. Very, very long car trip and very cold when you are there. If you are going to visitors center (which we did) you will see video of the summit observatories and then they bring out fair size telescope and we saw moons of Jupiter and rings of Saturn. To get to summit, you must go by 4 wheel drive for another 2 hours. I believe you see some of the large observatories, but no star gazing. Summit tours are not frequently scheduled. I think your daughter would not like this at all. In addition, mist, fog, and clouds make the visitor center star gazing chancey.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM

We spent 10 nights on BI last November and spent an afternoon hiking down into the Waipio valley.

We snorkeled with turtles at A bay in the morning and cooled out on the beach/ by the pool where we had lunch before driving to Waipio.

The views at the overlook are stunning and I took lots of photos on the way down at 'scenic points'.
It takes less than half an hour to hike down to the bottom but is hard on the knees (steep gradient!) and at the bottom if you turn right you can follow the trail to the beach which is rocky but beautiful especially the waterfall which you can't see from the overlook.

We carried plenty of water but no food which was a shame as it was the perfect spot for a picnic!

We also walked the other trail (turn left at the bottom) and saw the twin waterfalls.

The hike back up took less than an hour but was hard work! Our 7yr probably managed it better than my husband and our teenage son, 14 took it in his stride.

We chose to hike rather than take the tour because I believe that the tours don't go to the beach.

All in all it was one of our top 3 highlights.

We're going back to BI for Thanksgiving this year, this time for 6 nights and we're going to try to squeeze in as much as possible but I hope to hike down into Waipio valley again... this time with a picnic!

We haven't done the Mauna Kea tour but hope to fit it in this year... at least we plan to drive up as far as the observatory.

We didn't explore the Puna area or South Point (we took the North route to VNP both ways and loved the Hamakua coastline) but we intend to visit the green sand beach and the black sand beach this time!

We did see lots of turtles at the Place of Refuge ....great place to be in the late afternoon, very atmospheric!...and snorkeled with turtles at the beach next door (two steps?)...this was much better for snorkeling than the beach next to the Outrigger which we found to be too crowded and murky. We also enjoyed the drive around this area, pretty church, coffee farms, etc and would like to see more ....

Excellent snorkeling at Kealakekua bay too, another highlight!

Back to your questions... your long day was similar to what we did on the way to VNP back but we just stopped at the Waipio lookout, it was raining when we reached Akaka falls so this was a very brief stop (we did the short loop to both falls the next afternoon in the sunshine!)...we had a nice Thai lunch in Hilo and checked out the town and then drove to the VNP and drove down the chain of craters road, walked to the various overlooks (foggy views!) and then hiked over the lava for about an hour. We came back the next day and were amazed how much we'd missed because of the fog!

I think it may depend on the weather how much you do that day...remember the Hilo side is much wetter.

When are you going? I may have more info for you when we get back on Dec 1st!!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

highflyer -
We're not going until May so would LOVE to hear about your trip when you return!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:34 AM

OK, you got it...trip report promised!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:24 AM

If your flight arrives early enough in the day, you could spend your first 2 nights at VNP rather than the Hapuna. We did this on a 7 night trip last summer - 2 at VNP (Country Goose B&B, had a lovely 2 BR cottage) then 5 at Hapuna. We figured we'd hike down Waipio once we got to Hapuna, but never did. We did exhaust ourselves, though, it was just DH and I minus daughter, but it was a good exhaustion.

Perhaps you can spend a couple nights at VNP, a couple at the Outrigger Keauhou, a couple at the Hapuna. Traffic in Kona gets bad, so it is hard to travel from the Hapuna to S. of Kona.

We drove up to the Mauna Kea summit in our rental car, it was fine. Paved up to the Onizuka Visitor center, then about 5 miles of excellent but dusty graded road, then more pavement to the summit. Without a tour we couldn't go in the telescopes, but they looked really neat. I think it took us 2-1/2 hours to get there from the Hapuna. There's not a lot to see on the way up, the Saddle Road is interesting, but a bit bleak. We'd like to go back at night to see the stars, but that road would be DARK! Your husband will go berserk over all the stars you can see on the BI, even at the beach.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:51 PM

It is easy to exhaust yourself on the BI because it is so BIG! We've been twice, for about 5 days each, and are probably going again next summer. We try to go every other day in terms of beach days and sightseeing days.

VNP is outstanding, definitely allow a whole day for this. The first year, we drove through Kona and stopped at Place of Refuge and the black sand beach on the way. The second year, we drove the other way around the island, stopping at Waipaio Valley overlook and Akaka Falls.

Great snorkeling right at Hapuna, we saw LOTS of fish, and turtles, every morning. Do this early as the wind kicks up in the early afternoon.

Fair Winds boat trip to Captain Cook monument was a great trip. Snorkeling was excellent.

Restaurants we loved: Huggo's in Kona, Roy's in Waikoloa, Cafe Pesto, Coast Grille at Hapuna.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:21 PM
bonniebroad

crazy4Hawaii, would your husband mind doing the astronomy trip to the summit on his own, with you and your daughter having some girls' time at the resort? I'm betting your daughter would love that. Coming from Wisconsin, you will be still a bit tired on that third day .... Your husband could do one of the tours, to have some company. I've heard they're fun!

I think Day 6 is awfully crowded! You can PLAN, of course, but may need to cancel some of that. I always plan a lot, and cut out things as needed. Your trip will be wonderful ... happy planning! (I would suggest dinner at Roy's of Waikoloa on your second day.)

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:26 PM
bonniebroad

P.S. Do have dinner at Kilauea Lodge (reserve ahead.) It is excellent!

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions. I do plan to remain flexible and cut out activities as needed. I hate to feel like I'm checking things off a list instead of SEEING what I'm seeing...

All of the places you suggested for meals sound great!

I've thought about seeing if my husband will go on the summit tour alone. Two or more hours in the car both ways is kind of rough on a child.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:14 AM

We visited the Onizuka center (www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/info.html during the day while travelling to Hilo and they had telescopes examining the and we picked up some astronomy related souvenirs from the gift shop and departed as we began to succumb to the altitude. The shuttle tour of Waipio Valley was a more memorable experience.