Questions about Big Island drives...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are going to Hawaii this summer and will be on the Big Island for 4 nights (Mon.-Fri.) in between 2 nights on Oahu and 7 nights on Maui. We are staying at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel. What are the approx. driving times to: VNP, Waipaio Valley, Mauna Kea, Akaka Falls, P. black sand beach? Are any of these spots close enough to each other that they could be combined in a day trip, for instance stopping at one place on the way to another? Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:00 AM

You're basically in Kona.

You can'd drive a rental car up to Mauna Kea unless you pay $$$$ to get a 4x4. If you really want to go up there, I'd take a tour.

Kona to VNP is about 3 hours around the SOUTH side of the island. You'll pass the black sand beach on your way there.

Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls, and the Boiling Pots are about 3 hours around the NORTH side of the island. Waipio Valley overlook is along the way, down a 15-minute turnoff road. (I liked the Polulu Valley overlook better...)

Personally, I HIGHLY recommend doing VNP with an overnight stop. You need more than just a few hours to explore the whole park! The place is HUGE and AMAZING! And now that the lava flow is reaching the sea, you should make the hike down to see it! (It's an hour's hike each way.) There are lots of cute B&Bs in the area, plus the Volcano Lodge. We stayed at the Country Goose B&B and loved it.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM

Here is a link to a map with driving times and distances to VNP:http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/visit.htm

From Kohala coast (Hapuna) I think it will be closer to a 2 hour drive to VNP. Route (200) a.k.a. Saddle Road could be driven to reach Mauna Kea visitor center, Akaka Falls, and Waipio Valley in a loop back to Hapuna.

Since youre spending more time on Maui, there is a nice black sand beach on Maui, off of the Road to Hana that also has some interesting caves.

It's hard to do more than just VNP in a day trip from Kohala, recommend being there late afternoon/early evening if by chance lava is flowing, so you can see it after sunset.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:23 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
From Hapuna it's not that far to the north side attractions - around half to three-quarters of an hour to the Waipio overlook, another 20 or 30 min. to the Akaka Falls turnoff, another half hour to Hilo, another half to 3/4 hour to the VNP visitor center. Hapuna is near the north end of the Kohala strip, a good 30-40 min. from Kailua.

It's easy to combine several of these as day trips, of course the earlier you leave the better. Remember the climate on the Hilo side can be utterly different from the Kona/Kohala side.

If you don't want to go all the way up Mauna Kea, at least drive up into the hills behind Waimea/Kamuela - the landscape is stunningly gorgeous on the Parker Ranch - changes dramatically as you climb in altitude.

Also spend some time in the coffee farm areas south and inland from Kailua. Beautiful and interesting country - "real" Hawaii IMO. Visit the amazing Painted Church on the hillside above the Place of Refuge (which you should also see.)
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:26 AM
bonniebroad

Excellent points from Gardyloo here....... just what I was going to say! (Gardyloo, you really noticed enjoyed the same things I did!)

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:32 PM

If time is at a premium take Hawaii Forest & Trail Volcano trip - van with guide and about 10 people total. You drive all around BI, get educated to flora and fauna and volcanos and go to VNP, see much of island north, west, east Parker Ranch and some of Mauna some would say minimal, but you DO climb to see the lava and get insight you won't get on your own from the guides (all Hawaiians). It ia ALL day and they drive and supply great lunch.

We found it very educational, relaxing for long stretches and hiking parts fabulous. After that we went back to island areas we wanted more time in .
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:09 PM

I agree about spending more time at VNP- go down to Thurston's Lava Tube! WE landed in Hilo, spent one night there, drove to Volcano and spent a night at the Kilaulea (sp?) Chalet. Lots to see all over the island.

Jan