Drive from Kona to VNP

Search

Drive from Kona to VNP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive from Kona to VNP

How long is the drive from Kona to VNP? is it better to do it in the morning or in the night?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM

In which direction? Clockwise or counterclockwise around the island? Do you want the shortest route? The most scenic? Any reason you want to consider driving it at night.

I went clockwise around the island, made a day of it seeing amazing countryside and hiking. Spent the night in Volcano and then drove the rest of the circle back to Kona after visiting VNP.

What are your goals?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Starrsville - I like the sound of what you did and would like to do the same. Can you please give me advice? I mean we would fly into Kona and want to make our way to VNP but i would love to make a day out of the drive like you did seeing the countryside and hiking. Thanks!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM

There is sooooo much to see and do on the BI - and I have to leave soon. Do a search on this board and read a while. We had a blast. Hiked at the north end of the island. Drove through "cowboy country". Stopped and shopped at an itty bitty town. Did the touristy stuff at Hilo. Got into Volcano in early evening. Checked into our B&B and ate great Thai food at Volcano. Did VNP and all the touristy things in the area. Drove back to Kona and stopped at a farmer's market.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM

counter clockwise you can stop at Kealekekua Bay, Pu'uhonua O Honaunau (Place of Refuge) and the painted church, drive through the lava fields, stop at Punalu'u Black Sand Beach and see the turtles then continue to VNP. Clockwise, you can stop at Waipio Valley Lookout (or go to Hawi and hike to the bottom of Polulu Valley, stop at Honokaa for some malasadas at Tex's, stop at World Botanical Gardens or Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden, see waterfalls on the way over (2 stops) in Hilo check out bayfront shops, Rainbow Falls and Boiling Pots then head to Volcano. All of these can take a leisurely day, unless you have to, don't do it at night.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I second the suggestion not to drive it at night. It's a long drive back to Kona from VNP.

Have a great time. I wish I was headed to the Big Island!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am super excited for my trip. Now, any recommendations where to stay? I want someplace nice but not insanely expensive. How would you compare B and B's to the big hotels and resorts? I am on the Big island from a Monday to a Sunday. I for sure want to stay near VPN for a couple of nights (2?) and then Kona and maybe also Hilo. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM

rr229: I'm also in the process of trip planning.
I have my lodging reservations made. We chose a 3 star on Kona for 5 nights - Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort (convenient snorkeling); Emeraldview B&B in Hilo for 1 night and Kileau Lodge for 1 night.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I'd recommend the Country Goose B&B in Volcano. We stayed in their rental home "Hale Hideaway" and it was lovely.

We also stayed in the Outrigger Keauhou, and it was fine (not fabulous, but 3 stars so what do you expect?). Great location if you want to do a lot of snorkeling.