Search

Walks in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Mark Smalley

Walks in Chicago

Going to Chicago 8/27 for 7 days. First visit. Staying in Loop area.
Grateful to anyone (local) who's got suggestions for interesting/unusual areas to explore on foot.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Jay

When we visit chicago we always enjoy walking along Halsted St. on the north side of chicago. If you take the red line to North and Clybourn and start walking north you will encounter a very local and vibrant community with shops, restraunts, and a college (loyola) atmosphere. Much less hecktic than Michigan Ave,

but very nice and somewhat upscale

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:01 PM
deb

Mark,

What a great city to visit! I lived there for my first 25 years of life.

I would suggest you check out some of the architecture.

See http://www.architecture.org/tours_walk.html

Have fun--and enjoy some Giordano's or Bacino's pizza for me!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Mark Smalley

Thanks Jay, looks like just the sort of thing we've after. Is it also worth walking to North/Clybourn, taking N Orleans St for instance?
Deb, lozza pizza to choose from: Giordano's, Bacino's, Ginos East, Lou Malnati's, Nancy's, Uno and Due. That's already a different one each day and we've GOT to leave room for the dawgs and cheezboigers...

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Mark Smalley

And talking about food: what are 'subs'? I know you can eat them but that's all.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:38 AM
deb

Mark,

You're making me hungry!

Subs are sandwiches--what would be called a "grinder" in the NE. A long french roll piled high with your choice of meat and toppings.

I don't know a place for good subs in the city. My hometown out in the burbs has a place that I love to go back to. And their name is: Sub City. How original, huh?

Have fun enjoying the culinary choices! My fav pizza is Giordano's, Bacinos, and Eduardo's. IMO, I would steer clear of Gino's, Uno, and Due. Others may feel differently. I would also recommend the Chicago Oven and Pizza Grinder Co (I think that's what it's called) on Clark. You can check out more restaurants and happenings on www.metromix.com

I agree with Jay that the North/Clybourn/Halsted area is pretty cool. Although it's becoming a little too "corporate" with Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Old Navy, and Best Buy there.

I hear the River North area has really been fixed up in recent years. (I've been out of the area for three years now.) My husband used to work at Grand and State and they were doing all kinds of construction when we moved.

Nonetheless, you'll still have fun as Chicago is a great city!

Do you plan to go to any museums? The Art Institute and Shedd Aquarium are amazing.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Mark Smalley

Read some other dubious opinions of Uno and Due before, but maybe it's just personal taste. I'll take your advice gladly Deb, it's difficult to judge from 4000 miles away.
Things to do so far (ain't internet great?!): Shedd, Art Inst, Field, Hancock (Signature Bar) not Sears, Tour by Greeters, Buckingham Fountain, Sunday Gospel Brunch at HOB, Chinatown, Botanical Gardens Glencoe, FLW neighbourhood, Water taxi, CAF boat trip, Loop tour. Comments? Anything else?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:17 PM
jay

Mark, I would not recomend walking to the North/Clybourn Halsted area, unless you want to walk for about an hour to get there. I have never done this so I would find out from another person if it would be worth it. I asmume you would be downtown to start with which would require you to walk several blocks west then several more blocks north.

Maybe explore the two different neighborhoods on two days.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Susan

Mark,

I would swap out the Botanical Gardens for the Garfield Park Conservatory. The GPC is much closer to the Loop (it's near the United Center), and through Sept. there's a fantastic exhibit of art glass by Dale Chihuly which is interspersed among the plants.

Look up GPC at garfieldparkconservatory.com (or if I'm wrong, sorry -- do a search)

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:31 PM
jo

The Architectural Foundation has an office on S. Michigan within the first 3 blocks. They have walking tours and the boat tours. Both are very interesting.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Tina

Dear Mark,
I love the Old Town area of Chicago - a beautiful flower lined street with great restaurants and shops.
To get there from the Loop just take Michigan Avenue or walk along the lakefront to the underground bridge on Division Street. Walk one block North after Division to Schiller Street and then proceed West to Wells Street.
You could easily cab it instead and then walk around Wells Street. Lincoln Park Zoo is nearby and some great outdoor restaurants and cafes.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Heather

For *really* good subs/snadwiches try Ashkenaz deli, corner of State and Cedar.. Amazing jewish deli- try their pastrami on rye with green onion cream cheese... For other restaurnts I'd suggest Cafe Iberico, Chicago and LaSalle- Spanish tapas style (all plates are appetizer size), great selection and the price for what you get can't be beat. Frontera Grill, Clark and Hubbard (?)- Eclectic "nuevo" Mexican food. Reza's, Ontario and Orleans- Great mediterranian food. Gene and Georgetti's, Franklin and Illinois- Old world, Italian, Chicago-style steak house. And of course for the best 4 am greasy burgers and fries, Five Faces, Division and State! I second the recommendation for checking out www.metromix.com, it has a really good search engine for restaurants/bars/events/shows.... Have fun!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:53 PM
patg

I think you would love the walk along Dearborn Street. Start downtown at Van Buren (400 south) and go north, past some wonderful skyscrapers, old brownstones, the Newberry Library, Division Street, and the homes and businesses of the Gold Coast. You'll end up near the Chicago Historical Society, which is certainly worth a visit. If you need to stop, there's a little cafe just behind Biggs restaurant on Elm Street. I highly recommend the book "AIA Guide to Chicago" to accompany you.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Mark Smalley

Hey, you guys are great! VERY helpfull, all this stuff. Can't wait to get to the Ashkenaz deli, however couldn't locate Cedar on my little map but Metromix sure sorted that out. Use Metromix a lot, also 877Chicago.com and Fodors forums of course. Thanks again.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Mark Smalley

Just reporting back on our stay.
Booked Palmer House Hilton through Priceline for $70 and more than satisfied. Great location for us.

Below some of the things we did and would recommend for first time visitors.
- Visitors Center on E.Randolf most helpfull. Get 'Official Visitors Guide', 'Concierge Preferred' and 'Guidebook of Special Values' with plenty of vouchers, for instance 2 for price of 1 Wendella boat tour.
- Art Institute most impressive and free on Tues.
- Good food at Ada's Deli on S.Wabash.
- Free internet at Library S.State and also visit Winter Garden on 7th floor.
- Get gift vouchers at visitors center at Marshall Fields on N.State, also ask for 2 for 1 Hancock Observatory.
- Great views from Hancock.
- Free 3 hour guide by Greeter, who walked and talked us through Gold Coast south to E.Randolf (www.chicagogreeter.com).
- Chicago dogs at Flukys on 3rd floor at Nordstrom N. Michigan.
- Auction rooms at Merchandise Mart on Kinzie.
- Chinatown less improssive than in NYC.
- When walking, keep north of Roosevelt to be on the safe side. Generally we felt quite safe and although approached form time to time by homeless guys for some change, never felt threatened. As with any city you're not familiar with, it's wise to keep your eyes open and stay in well populated areas.
- Mario's Italian Lemonade on Taylor for great Italian Ice Cream.
- Little Italy and Greektown a bit small and not worth a the effort if you're on a short visit.
- Wonderful view of the skyline from Adler end of Museum Campus.
- Use free trolley service to get around.
- Free loop tour (get tickets Sat morning at Visitors Center).
- Warmly welcomed as visitors for inspiring Sunday gospel service at St. Lukes on N. Orleans.
- Water Tower Place has some great shops.
- Also interesting Hammacher Schlemmer shop with unique products at historic Tribune Tower, N. Michigan.
- Zoo at Lincoln Park worth the walk. Go to the Conservatory while you're there.
- Walk from Lincoln Park back south to Oak Street Beach along Lake Shore Drive.
- Cultural Center on E.Randolf worth walking through.
- Walked mostly in area bordered by Chicago, Michigan, Van Buren and Clinton/N.Orleans which gave us the feel of the place.

Much enjoyed our stay and many thanks to everybody who contributed suggestions.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Gooey

There is a program run through the City's tourism office called the Chicago Greeters. It hooks you up with a Chicagoan and takes you around any area of the city that interests you. Travel is by foot and public transit. If you don't know what areas you are interested in you can choose a Greeter's choice. It is a great way to meet people in Chicago, visit neighborhoods you may not be comfortable going to yourself and find out info on the city you can't read in a guidebook. You can get info on the program from the City's tourism website.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:05 AM
buttercup

Try to walk at least once early in the morning. I always love walking on Michigan Avenue and the lakefront early. Harldy anyone is out except people photographing the buildings. You can slow down and really appreciate some of the details of the buildings.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Just Me

Watch the sun rise over Lake Michigan.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Suzy

Mark has returned.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Fitzy

Suzy: Anyone can use the advice given here - at any time.